Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Default Re: The all new "Xara is inaccurate" thread!

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post

This is quite apart from any arcane argument about what it can or cannot be used for

IMO
    Arcane may be an accurate description of the lack of knowledge of the "bug" decrier's . That is, people using graphics application for purposes not intended it to be used for and their expectation that a vector set not intended for CAD/CAM wanting it to be so.

I understand that reporting bugs is important, I do it all the time, but to make a public flogging of it is not helpful.

I can make the same assertions about Adobe Illustrator if I wanted. Why? Because it is not a vector set that can handle CAD/CAM applications. Graphics programmers know this; industrial engineers know this. I'm not going to, Adobe knows the limitations of their Vector sets.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmc View Post
    Arcane may be an accurate description of the lack of knowledge of the "bug" decrier's .
    James I'm really sorry to say this but I find that quite an arrogant thing to say.

The argument is arcane because the bug is known about, as are the ins and outs of usage - so everyone can make their own minds up as to what they use. Debate is useful, but won't in itself solve the problem.

The real issue is getting this, and other bugs, fixed
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Yes, the bugs should be fixed, but since Xara is a Graphics program and not an Industrial software application, I well imagine they have higher priorities than competing with CAD/CAM and CNC software packages.
    Well the 2 other graphics programs I have in front of me are Inkscape and Canvas. Both pass the rectangle - square test by producing an object with the correct 9 nodes. Based on other comments in this thread it sounds like Illustrator passes as well. Based on that small sample I don't think accurate boolean operations falls under the category of "competing with CAD/CAM and CNC software".

I understand that reporting bugs is important, I do it all the time, but to make a public flogging of it is not helpful.
    It has been said, by folks smarter than me, that the best customers are the ones who complain. Most folks will just move on to the next box on the shelf.
    Jed
    IP

Hello

Perhaps I am not doing the right thing, but I cannot see the effect. I have made a 6cm square and cut it with a 5 cm circle, see .xar file. I have drawn tangents to the circle at the nodes and at 8000% or higher I see a circle and a tangent. Is this a video card thing?

Mike Engles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cut shape.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	36974  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mikeengles; 08 April 2007 at 09:31 PM. Reason: to attach files
    IP

Mike,

You won't see it if you cut a circle from a square, if the circle is centered on the square. Offset the circle so it's partly outside the square and then subtract. You will see the problem then.

James,

I've used Xtreme quite often in the past to cut vinyl for signs. This is not a CAD/CAM task requiring ultra monitors/video cards etc, but a simple 2D vector operation.

The bug exists and for people trying to use Xtreme for this type of operation it is a pain the the arse.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

I agree that this is clearly a bug that should be fixed.
    I´ve run into trouble in the past because of this. In certain situations after you have finished a more complex drawing where you used boolean operations to build some shapes against a white or other light color canvas and decide later to make it bigger (to show a detail of the work or for print a poster for example) those inconsistencies become visible. If your shapes are dark and were created against a white or light canvas, the constrast between the two surfaces produces some visible "artifacts" that are the result of the inacuracy of the boolean operations. Because of this i learned to always fill the background where boolean operations will occur with the color of one of the shappes to prevent those types of problems.

Since this is a vector program and those type of operations are math-based this is an issue that i think should be revised.
    Last edited by MEB; 09 April 2007 at 12:46 AM.
    IP

There is no motivation behind my point other than constant belittling of a World Class software doesn't do anyone any good.
    I see no belittling, but I'm looking at this issue from the opposite point of view
    I don't think anyone in this thread has said something like "Xtreme is crap". I've only read constructive criticisms so far Unless I've forgotten a few posts here.
    I think even world class software needs criticism in order to compete with others. Being criticized doesn't make the software more inferior IMO. I can imagine there are enough bugs in other widely popular software.

Quote Originally Posted by jedfrechette View Post
    Well the 2 other graphics programs I have in front of me are Inkscape and Canvas. Both pass the rectangle - square test by producing an object with the correct 9 nodes. Based on other comments in this thread it sounds like Illustrator passes as well. Based on that small sample I don't think accurate boolean operations falls under the category of "competing with CAD/CAM and CNC software".
    Yeah, that's what I thought too when I read James' post
    Doing precise boolean operations doesn't make inkscape an industrial software. Only the opposite is true: not being able to do precise boolean operations definately excludes the software from being industrial type.
    Also, fixing a bug is not the same as adding a feature that's common in CAD software IMO

Ohnoes, we've mentioned its name. Now we're gonna be banned! :X
    IP

I apologize for being arrogant and wrong.

My enthusiasm for the software outweighed my common sense in not allowing others the rights to critique a software.

I shall endeavor to keep my enthusiasm in its proper place in the future.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jamesmc; 09 April 2007 at 10:03 AM.
    IP

I apologize for being arrogant and wrong.

My enthusiasm for the software outweighed my common sense in not allowing others the rights to critique a software.

I shall endeavor to keep my enthusiasm in its proper place in the future.
    Your enthusiasm belongs right here on the forum - it is not misplaced, xara is a wonderfully unique and special product, but not perfect.

We all have our views and this is the place to express them.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

I use xara to produce vinyl cut signage on occasion and have rarely had any problems due to the nature of the requirements of the sign produced. However I have noticed the inaccuracies and have resorted where necessary to using Serif Drawplus which is much more accurate.
    Using Eggs example of the circle cut from the rectangle showing the straight line segment, I produced the same shapes in Drawplus and sliced the circle from the rectangle and there is as you can see a perfect curve. I cannot make it produce inaccurate slices in anything I have tried so far as a test. If Serif can do it I'm sure Xara can if enough people demand it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	170.8 KB 
ID:	36988  
    IP