Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Idea pool

Default Re: Idea pool

Hi Frances,

I think Xara Web Designer has stolen some of the light this month with lot's of excited and activity there.

Yes please, post your March scribble .xar and screenshot in the Challenges forum by all means.
    I'm sure Paul (Geminiguy) would not mind at all.

Thanks

Default Freehand frenzy

i have an idea for a challenge...
    I call it a "Freehand Frenzy"
    And the idea is to use a vector program in much the same way you would sketch something with a pencil on paper!

(i know i already posted you (remi) but i thought perhaps maybe it was a bit premature and perhaps i could invite broader scrutiny... and discussion on it...(let me know what you think remi or if there are any changes you would recommend)...

Anyway the basic idea was that i think it would be cool if people could submit a piece based on one of their own personal photos done totally with the freehand tool (or sketch tool of any application provided they follow the rules)...and without importing any art...ie totally by eye....

The idea here is that the aim of the exercise is to help develop peoples use of vector as an art medium...instead of the more common methods we all know of using raster art as a background and doing tracings manually....

I would call it a "Freehand Frenzy" LOL....

The rules would be:
    1)must be from own photography or photo....(to personalize it)
    2)art must not be inserted into the program (all reference to art to be by eye only...this is the whole point of this exercise)
    3)the only input tool allowed would be the freehand tool (or your program's sketch tool)
    4) no node editing, angle constriction or snapping allowed, (this is a freehand exercise)
    5) no moving of objects allowed (the idea is to get "sketchy" and build the picture up...like you would with a pencil on paper)
    6) as little deleting as possible (preferably no deleting objects...90% of all objects created must be at least partially visible in the finished design...
    i.e the idea here is to encourage people to let loose and not worry about weather or not they are being EXACT...this is about free wild sketching and building the image up...

it is expected that perhaps people might sketch initially in a pale colour to feel out the image and get the proportions sorted and then start building the image up from there.....

Of course people would be allowed to use gradiated blends, transparency, feathering and blurring ETC...but any object that is created must be done manually with the freehand tool....

Thanks for your patience let me know what you think of...
    Freehand Frenzy
    Last edited by morphonius_821; 30 March 2009 at 03:53 PM.

so you are saying the reference material must not be in the program you are sketching in? - I tend to work that way anyhow - could be fun
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    so you are saying the reference material must not be in the program you are sketching in? - I tend to work that way anyhow - could be fun
    Exactly...
    P.S I'm in the same boat as you handrawn... i nearly always work off raster art...its scarry as im drawing a picture of my daughter now with this method and im not even sure i will get a likeness (thats scarry)
    But l thought why give it a try using these strict rules...
    i started by sketching roughly with a pale outline...
    i probably put 200 little sketchy strokes down before it started to look like a cotton wool face and then started adding in stuff and changing colour...
    its hard but i think it will eventually look ok....

But one way or the other i will post it up (even if it looks shabby LOL)

Default Re: Freehand frenzy

Sounds good. Would you like to post a new thread as the challenge (with your Challenge rules) or should we use this thread?

Remi

Default Re: Freehand frenzy

Hi remi...(thanks)
    I think we can use the rules post that i just put up here... i think that covers it well enough....If you could please re-issue this as a challenge post that would be good..
    (if you dont mind...just ommit the few bracketed lines close to the top.)

Thanks...looking forward to seeing all the scratchy stuff we all come up with LOL...

Should be ok though once the sketchy part is done and you have a rough likeness (im doing a face) then its just a matter of fleshing it out.... but i guess this technique will produce a finished design that has allot of objects.
    Anyway i think this will be a great exercise to encourage people out of their comfort zone...(thats what its designed to do...for me anyway...)
    Thanks looking forward to everyone's contributions.

P.S sorry handrawn i miss understood you....(you should be right in your element LOL)

Ok, the Freehand frenzy Challenge is located in his new thread.

Remi

I love feathers (probably because I like birds so much) and like using them in my fantasy images. I have a small one that I found while golfing and got to thinking that I would like to try making feathers in XX. I have not started yet because I'm busy redoing my website (oh, how much code I have forgotten, lol) but I think it would make an interesting challenge.

The feather I will eventually do is about 2-1/2 inches long (about 6-1/4 cm?). It is white with light taupe stripes. It has fuzz around the base and is fat in width. I thought it might be an owl feather...or a hawk. We are seeing more hawks in the last few years. I think they feed on roaming ...aw, never mind
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

Hi Nancy,

The feather could be an owl feather. Does it look like any of the images in this google search? http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=

Of course there are similar hawk feathers http://images.google.com/images?gbv=...eather&aq=f&oq=

The attached image is a feather I drew in Xtreme about 5 years ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feather.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	62361  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Its been a long time since I made any feathers.

Nancy, it sounds like a fun challenge, it should be open to all brands of graphics software.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pheonix.gif 
Views:	311 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	62363