Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Three Things

Hybrid View

Default Three Things

When I try erasing some overcoloring with the eraser, it creates a box of whiteness that just erases all the color underneath. The first two attachments show this.

The next two also show a watercolor brush doing the same thing.

I think it may be caused from a weak computer. Pretty low-spec compared to today's computers..

The last one is more basic, I think. I don't want the colors to stack ontop of each other. How do I just keep painting with the same color and have it not create that dark color from painting over it again?

I'm using Corel Painter X.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eternal_blue_shopd_1.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	36565   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eternal_blue_shopd_2.JPG 
Views:	272 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	36566  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eternal_blue_shopd_p1.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	36567   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eternal_blue_shopd_p2.JPG 
Views:	277 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	36568  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eternal_blue_shopd_p3.JPG 
Views:	273 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	36569  
    Last edited by IshePlatinum; 28 March 2007 at 12:46 PM. Reason: title change from two to three <_<
    IP

Default Re: Three Things

I can't solve your question about the white squares but guess it's a display problem.

If you want to prevent color buildup here's a list of things to avoid (may not be complete but this is what comes to mind at the moment):
    • Avoid using brush variants that use Method: Buildup (i.e. found in the Felt Pens, Crayons, Pencils, and possibly other brush categories). You'll find this basic control, Method, in the Brush Controls' General palette.
    • Avoid painting on Layers above existing underlying color with brush variants that require the Layer be set to Composite Method Gel (i.e. Digital Watercolor and Watercolor, and brush variants that use Method: Buildup).
    • Avoid painting on the Canvas over existing non-Digital Watercolor paint using Digital Watercolor brush variants or using brush variants that use Method: Buildup.
    • Avoid painting over dried Digital Watercolor paint with Digital Watercolor brush variants.

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by IshePlatinum View Post
    I think it may be caused from a weak computer. Pretty low-spec compared to today's computers..

I'm using Corel Painter X.
    What ARE your computer specs? It really would help to know.

My first thought is that it's your graphic card that is low spec as it seems to be having trouble doing screen redraws.

Just for comparison, I only have an Athlon XP 1.4 GB with a Radeon 9000 Pro(128Mb video memory) and never have problems with screen redraws, unless of course I get stupid silly and try and do a 12' x 12' 1200dpi painting! lol!!! :-)
    Last edited by Doug; 28 March 2007 at 04:38 PM.
    IP

Not at my computer, but I remember..

Pentium 3 866mhz
    pretty sure my video card is a RADEON 7000, 64mb.
    512 mb of RAM.

Maybe it would be good to note, I don't think I recall it doing this the first time I started erasing. After a bit of cleaning with it, I erased the inside area, so I ctrl+z'd. I think this is when it started doing the white block problem. It only does this when painting on the same layer (for some reason, it's called Watercolor Layer 2, I don't remember making one under this..) When I tried painting on another layer, it didn't have a problem with white blocks.
    Last edited by IshePlatinum; 28 March 2007 at 05:25 PM.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by IshePlatinum View Post
    Not at my computer, but I remember..

Pentium 3 866mhz
    pretty sure my video card is a RADEON 7000, 64mb.
    512 mb of RAM.

Maybe it would be good to note, I don't think I recall it doing this the first time I started erasing. After a bit of cleaning with it, I erased the inside area, so I ctrl+z'd. I think this is when it started doing the white block problem. It only does this when painting on the same layer (for some reason, it's called Watercolor Layer 2, I don't remember making one under this..) When I tried painting on another layer, it didn't have a problem with white blocks.
    Ouch! That is a low spec computer for today's software. Corel recommends the following specs for Painter X:

System Requirements
    Windows® version:

Windows VistaTM, Windows® XP or Windows® 2000 (each with latest Service Pack applied)
    Pentium® III, 700 MHz or greater
    256 MB of RAM (512 MB recommended)
    Mouse or tablet
    24-bit color display
    1024 × 768 screen resolution
    360 MB hard disk space
    CD-ROM drive

When software devs list system requirements, they often list MINIMUM system requirements as they want as many people as possible to buy.

If you can't buy a newer higher spec pc, I'd recommend that you at least double your ram, then get a newer video card-128mb video ram minimum. That 512 mb ram that you have is barely enough to run the os, let alone a demanding software app. I'm running xp home, and just sitting at the desktop, no apps open, xp uses 428mb ram according to the task manager. If I start up Painter X, no picture/graphics open, ram useage goes to 500mb just idleing and sitting there. So that leaves you with 12mb to work with for your painting-not very much. I bet your system is regularly going to the paging file (disk memory) for the memory that painter needs. On disk paging files is several times slower than ram. So when you are erasing, at first it works, but the more you do it, the more you over load the memory requirements. Your computer then freaks and gets confused-thus your problem.

Also, which windows are you running? 98, W2000, XP?

Also, what size is picture that you are working on? (For example 1024 x 768 at 300 dpi? More? Less?
    Last edited by Doug; 28 March 2007 at 05:55 PM.
    IP

I use XP.
    It's 1249 x 1887. Don't remember what dpi I scanned it as.

Probably going to be stuck with this. Not really a good time to ask my parents for a computer upgrade.

I'm thinking of just painting white onto a layer ontop of this layer to just working around this.
    IP

might be a good idea to check your memory and scratch settings in painter - also make user defined libraries of only those brushes papers etc that you need loaded at any one time
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP