Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: new topic

All the wysiwyg programs want to change </TD></TR> to make it </TD>

</TR>.

So I had to use non-wysiwyg to accomplish that.
    But the problem persisted. I defined the main table with BORDER="0. That made Netscape display a smooth side bar all the way down.

Next I sort of wondered about the text size. If one uses BASEFONT="3" will that make all the letters have a size of three? Where do you put that element if you want to make all the text in a table the same but don't want use CSS?

[This message was edited by Jen Worden on September 08, 2000 at 02:02 PM.]
    buddycom
    IP

Just a note to posters. If you need to use HTML code use the "code" button under Instant UBB Code at the bottom of the reply box. Type inside the brackets, otherwise your code will render as HTML. Alternatively, (though more time consuming) you can use &amp;lt; and &amp;gt; for brackets.

Okay. On to Font sizes. The only way you can keep the font size consistent inside tables is to use font tags. Sad but true - which is a pretty good case for CSS. I've pretty much graduated everything to Style Sheets - oh! so easy and the majority of people are using 4.x and up. I make sure it will degrade nicely just in case so at least it's readable - for the rest they're on their own! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP

I have an undeserved reputation as a computer genius wanna-be.
    But I can't even program the remote control for the VCR.
    The model webpage I am trying to emulate is the Yahoo Homepage. They did a billion dollars worth of ad business and their homepage has almost nothing there but links and a white background.
    My site has about 900 pages and someone came up with this rule of thumb that you want everything within 3 clicks from home. But you still want the front page to load fast for advertising and be universally compatible and still have enough eye candy for it to be interesting. (Hmm... What do they think I wanna-be, some kind of computer genius?)

So instead of using CSS, which I thought might add too much code to a page bloated with eye candy and links, (and which is absent from the Yahoo home page), I just wanted to do two things. One would be to set a preferred font and size for viewing the page, I like arial, geneva and helvetica in that order. The other would be to set a preferred font and size for a table. You've said , I think that for the table you have to add the font info for each cell. Fine.
    For the page, I can't seem to get that one right even after reading up on it. The program's HTML validator says that I am not doing that right. BASEFONT="2" looks ok and so I used that. But where and what should I put in for the preferred fonts?

buddycom

[This message was edited by buddycom on September 09, 2000 at 11:01 AM.

[This message was edited by buddycom on September 09, 2000 at 11:04 AM.]
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    buddycom
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>So instead of using CSS, which I thought might add too much code to a page bloated with eye candy and links, (and which is absent from the Yahoo home page), I just wanted to do two things. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, that's the whole point of CSS - not bloating the code by defining your parameters once.

For example, in order to have a table that has a font size of "2" (ie. that would be about "8pt" or "-1" if your basefont is 3) plus your preferred fonts, you would have to code it like this.

<table>
    <tr>&lttd><font face="Arial, Geneva, Helvetica" size="-1">Your text here</font></td></tr>
    </table>

You would have to include this tag <font color="red"><font face="Arial, Geneva, Helvetica" size="-1">Your text here</font></font> in every td cell. Bloated code? You bet!

Alternately, you can create a stylesheet and link it in your <head>&lt/head> tags like so :

<link rel="stylesheet" href="yourstylesheet.css">

Define a style for your td cells or a separate class :

<style type = "text/css>
    <!--
    TD{
    font-family: Arial, Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    font-size: 8pt;
    }

.small{
    font-family: Arial, Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    font-size: 8pt;
    }
    // -->
    </style>

You may be having problems with the validator because the FONT tag has been deprecated by the
    W3C.

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP

I appreciate your help in this matter. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Here's a Xara 3D logo I just made also.

buddycom
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    buddycom
    IP

Hi there buddycom

--
    >The model webpage I am trying to emulate is the Yahoo Homepage.
    >They did a billion dollars worth of ad business and their homepage
    >has almost nothing there but links and a white background.
    --

Why would you want to emulate Yahoo! ?? So many sites out there already do that - just look at any other search engine /amazon.com/barnes&noble ... etc. etc.

I think Yahoo's strong point was getting themselves known .. advertising is everything - especially in the beginning.
    As you mentioned - they forked out a lot of money on advertising - no need to go all out on their design when all that branding could guarantee so many visitors.

Don't try to copy them - IMHO I think the internet's too big a place to have another 3 columned site with links scattered all over it.
    (Unless you have billions to spend getting yourself known [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

I hope you'll change your mind and re-think how your site will be layed out - design-wise. The internet can be a cold, fickle world ... and who's to say the Yahoo! look will be in fashion in a few months.

(I say this to encourage your imagination, and not as a critisicm).

-------
    Kind Regards
    Some Crazy SA Gal
    IP

Default Re: new topic

TalkGraphics has closed this Thread
    If you have concerns, PM a Mod.

It is easier to raise a new Thread and link back to this one.
    If there is a valid reason then the Threads can be merged into the older one and it re-opened.

The Thread has been closed as it is has passed its best before date (stale or old) and is prone to spamming.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP