Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pushin pixels

I love to paint, I like using and old brush they get better with age, I use Painter 4, I have the first Version of Fractal Design sketcher but its in the cigar box that it came in, kind of a cool looking box, I've got the metal paint can that P4 was packaged in stashed away as well.
    IP

I love to paint, I like using and old brush they get better with age, I use Painter 4, I have the first Version of Fractal Design sketcher but its in the cigar box that it came in, kind of a cool looking box, I've got the metal paint can that P4 was packaged in stashed away as well.
    IP

Mike,

Hi.. your fish is beautiful. What brushes did you use, if you remember?

I, too, bought Sketcher way back when.. and loved it. Later, after thinking over the price and drooling for a while.. I worked up the nerve to buy Painter 4.. still have the can along with the Painter 5 and Painter 6 cans... collector's items, you know. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Hi Mike,
    You do nice work. I like your soft touch on the fish.
    I also like your most striking Gold Dragon design in the Gallery. I keep overlooking the work in the Gallery, there is some good looking work in there.I will have to stop taking coffee breaks, I have to retrain after I take a breather.
    Take Care,
    Greg
    IP

Hi Jin, I used the airbrush to apply color, the waterbrush (smeary mover) to pull dagger strokes on the fins, and eraser to clean up the edges.

Hi Greg, the dragon thing is a 3d model created with Bryce, a grayscale image was used to build the model from a 3d lattice. Its a simple technique to create a complex 3d model, usually needs a bit of post editing to clean up the image.

Here's one I did a few yrs back when I first got painter 4, I used the soft cloners to do it.
    IP

I love it.
    IP

Mike,

Your bird is lovely.

Interest thing about it.... the feathers remind me of something we've been experimenting with on the PainterWorld list. Someone asked about creating a brushed metal surface into which he/she (?) wanted to place engraved text. Off we went on the engraved-text thing and none of us so far have come up with believable results, even using the Bevel World plugin.

Your bird feathers, with lines drawn in that point to the "backbone" of the feather, look a bit like what I have been thinking of to create the illusion of text cut into the surface of metal or stone.

If you, or anyone here, have suggestions, it would be great to hear them.

Not that this looks engraved, but here are some samples I did of what I refer to as "recessed text".. along with tutorials for Painter 5 and Painter 6. It's three pages long:

http://www.pixelalley.com/tutorials/...-text-pg1.html

As you'll see when reading the accompanying comments, I'm not at all thrilled with the results but thought someone might be able to use the tutorials somehow for another kind of image.

Jinny

Thank

Jinny Brown
    IP

Hi Jin,
    maybe this is what your after maybe not?
    The way I did this is, Effects, apply surface texture, image luminance, inverted.
    Making sure there is good contrast on the text, darker is better.
    Material setting: I start with amount and picture full blast.
    Increasing the softness setting will increase the depth of the effect, a little is a lot in this case.
    Playing with the other settings until I liked the preview.

Hope this helps.
    http://www.gate.net/~rmb1/Engraved.jpg
    IP

mike

nice work. did you do the bird completely in painter or is that a scanned drawing which was placed into painter? very nice composition of the feather arrangement. oh and before i forget, which playmate is that? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

stecyk66
    IP

Mike,

Thank you! Your text certainly does look cut into the surface. No tricks going on with my eyes, like first I see it engraved, blink, then I see it embossed. That's been driving me nuts lately and yours just sits there politely looking like it ought to look. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Thanks to your encouragement and a barrage of e-mails back and forth with someone on another list who's working on brushed metal as well as engraved text, I've spent the day fiddling and experimenting.. and writing tutorials.

Here's what I have so far:

http://www.pixelalley.com/tutorials/...-text-pg4.html

By the way (giggle), I never noticed the girl in your bird.. shows where my focus *isn't*.. since I are one.. I don't pay 'em no nevermind.. since you guys aren't one.. you do. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

You really did a beautiful and painstaking job on that painting. Very nice use of cloning!

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    IP