Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Can't Open or Import EPS files???

Hi,

I'm somewhat of a newbie with XARA Xtreme but learning fast... however, I'm running into problems trying to Open or Import eps vector files... I keep getting error messages... line errors... no filters to open this file... if I can't open or import eps files this program is absolutely useless for me... and no way will I upgrade to the PRO... is anyone else having the same problem??? Is there a fix for this???

Thanx
    Linda

Default Re: Can't Open or Import EPS files???

when I save ai and eps files from illustrator I save them in version 8 [legacy], as xara does not appear to recognise later versions
    this may be your problem?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Don't think that's the problem... I'm using EPS vector files created by someone else... XARA keeps giving an error message no suitable filters and line error messages... I am having this problem with a lot of different eps files from different vendors... don't think it's the files... Appears to be a problem with XARA and I'm beginning to wish I never bought it... too many problems... Illustrator is starting to look real good to me now despite the cost...

Does anyone have an answer for this problem?????

Thanx
    Linda

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...&highlight=eps
    In the above thread Gary confirms that xara eps import is limited to ver 8.
    There are others in this forum who have used eps for a long time who may know another way round this, many seem to use another program such as illustrator or expression to convert first, as I would. Sorry if this is of limited help.
    Whatever the version/type of eps file is that you are receiving it looks like it is not one that is compatable with xara.
    Is it possible to identify what program its comes from and what version it is? Can you obtain them in another vector format?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Post one of your files here and we will see if we can open it.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by lkk07 View Post
    ...is anyone else having the same problem???
    I'm afraid you've hit upon one of Xtreme's major flaws, at least in my opinion. I have yet to come up with a useable workflow for getting EPS files produced by any other program into Xtreme. The fact that other software generates EPS files of various quality doesn't help the matter, unfortunately it seems that even perfectly valid EPS files rarely import successfully, and I would consider placing anything on the canvas a succesful import at this point.

If you search this forum you will come up with plenty of other threads dealing with the same issues. Some folks are able to get acceptable results with various methods so hopefully you will be able to come up with a process that works for you.

Best of luck,
    Jed

I find that I get the same error message, but then the as soon as I click on the "OK" button acknowledging the error, the eps file is opened. Go figure!

- AF

Maybe I'm just unlucky.
    Jed

Quote Originally Posted by jedfrechette View Post
    Maybe I'm just unlucky.
    Just buy a lottery ticket.

I Have the same problem. Fortunatly I also have CorelDraw which imports the EPS files with no problems (choose PS,EPS from file type dropdown).
    I then export it from Corel as a CMX file which Xara has, so far, impoted (as cmx) correctly every time.
    Last edited by jetx; 22 March 2007 at 02:58 PM.