Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Ruler(s) ReVisited

Okay, another chance to push some knowledge into me ;-) Setting Rulers I see that I (and can get the setting for the top -Horizontal- ruler to run from top -to- left... correctly... and did the pull to get the verticle rule to run from the top left, down the page... but, in looking at the settings... looks backwards... (or, shudder, is it just me and some logic I am missing?) Thanks

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/2...mbackwaqs5.png
    Tom - Hwy101

Default Re: Ruler(s) ReVisited

Please Mr Moderator - Move to Xtreme Pro - I <blush> somehow Posted, HERE, which of course is the Wrong Spot - SORRY!! Chagrin - Tom
    Tom - Hwy101

not sure if I understand correctly or not, sorry

in xara pro the coordinate settings are based on the bottom left hand corner of the page

so setting the origin[0,0 point] as X 0pix Y 0pix will set the 0 positions of the rulers at the bottom left of the page

setting the origin to X 100pix Y 100 pix will move the ruler 0 positions by 100pix one way
    setting X -100pix Y -100pix they move the other way

xara calls setting without - in front increases and settings with - in front decreases
    you can choose which way round this applies [left or right, up or down] in the cooridinate direction part of the box

hope this makes sense and helps
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thumbs up Re: Ruler(s) ReVisited

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    not sure if I understand correctly or not, sorry

in xara pro the coordinate settings are based on the bottom left hand corner of the page

so setting the origin[0,0 point] as X 0pix Y 0pix will set the 0 positions of the rulers at the bottom left of the page

setting the origin to X 100pix Y 100 pix will move the ruler 0 positions by 100pix one way
    setting X -100pix Y -100pix they move the other way

xara calls setting without - in front increases and settings with - in front decreases
    you can choose which way round this applies [left or right, up or down] in the cooridinate direction part of the box

hope this makes sense and helps
    Steve, my pix is of 0,0 at Top Left corner of Page... the -1 pix got me as well as just trying to understand how setting the coordinate worked - Thanks for the explanation... this also explains the way Pro redraws a page after changing the size of the page (I had wondered about too) - guess it's a British way of looking at things. Again, Thanks! Appreciated - Tom
    Tom - Hwy101

It is only fairly recent versions that Xara allowed you to change the origin up to
    top left hand corner so the co-ordinates giving a negative, I imagine, are still a throwback to that way of working.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwy101 View Post
    Steve, my pix is of 0,0 at Top Left corner of Page... the -1 pix got me as well as just trying to understand how setting the coordinate worked - Thanks for the explanation... this also explains the way Pro redraws a page after changing the size of the page (I had wondered about too) - guess it's a British way of looking at things. Again, Thanks! Appreciated - Tom
    I would guess its mathematical - looking at the page as a 'graph' or 'matrix' the origin point would normally be bottom left - its the way we read geographic map coordinates too...
    Last edited by handrawn; 18 March 2007 at 10:28 AM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Talking Re: Ruler(s) ReVisited

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I would guess its mathematical - looking at the page as a 'graph' or 'matrix' the origin point would normally be bottom left - its the way we read geographic map coordinates too...
    Dang Steve, there you go being 'Logical' (I never thought about Cartesian coordinates) - ;-^)

Just Sign me: Top Down
    (but, I will try to be/do Better) ;-^)
    Tom - Hwy101