Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Corel Draw Losing Vector Graphics When Printing.

Ok does anybody have an idea about this: When say I trace a black and white image in Corel Trace and then print in corel draw, some of the pieces of the tracing are missing. The tracing has had the background removed and has been combined. My initial thought was that when printing the file was too big for the cache memory to handle and some of the data was being lost, as the documents were spooled before hand and printed once spooled. However I thought I could get round this by printing directly, but this doesnt work either. Different pieces ot the tracing are missing when I use different printers. How odd!
    Dave
    IP

Default Re: Corel Draw Losing Vector Graphics When Printing.

The image is probably too complex. I have that problem tracing distressed maps when I need them. Try reducing the nodes or complexity of the trace. If the bitmap is low rez crap (pixelated) and its vectoring every pixel in the design, than you'd be better off tracing by hand.
    IP

The resolution determines if you are seeing clean edge lines which you look at it and say "I got vectors". CorelDRAW speaks PostScript and not all printers understand that. You can work around by converting to a 300 to 600 dpi bitmap and then when done printing revert to your vectors, or copy the vector on to a back page of the document and leave the bitmap for printing, or convert to .pdf and print from that.

There are other times when a non- PostScript printer will not understand all of DRAW's output, such as with its various transparency modes. These aren't always understood by even .pdf. Again, converting to bitmap usually does the trick.

I've had times when converting to bitmap did not come out right either, but converting one portion at a time and then converting the whole image again to bitmap worked. Always, always if you have to do this, retain a backup copy for your efforts in case you have to revert to your vectors. Do no expect your backup copy to save the vectors for you.

Extra nodes are a problem sometimes, but not always the reason for the problems.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sallybode View Post

Extra nodes are a problem sometimes, but not always the reason for the problems.
    I find that an excess of nodes and complex designs cause these errors a lot. The best I've worked out (if node reduction is impossible) around this problem is to go to the Print menu, and under the Misc Tab, check the Rasterize Entire Page (DPI) Make the DPI of the image at least at 400 (default) if not higher and hit print.

I don't like to do this, since colors change and for some reason I have found that placement of the item on page will not be right.
    IP

It should not affect placement, your x and y axis do not move when you change to a raster. Easy to check, copy the vector to the clipboard, change it to a raster and then paste the vector on top, should match exactly. Mine line up.

If you are getting different placement, it is the printer. Make a .pdf, you don't have to change anything.

If you are proofing to a copier and making plate to a digital platemaker, the difference can be the gripper for the printer you are proofing to.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sallybode View Post
    It should not affect placement, your x and y axis do not move when you change to a raster. Easy to check, copy the vector to the clipboard, change it to a raster and then paste the vector on top, should match exactly. Mine line up.
    I meant placement changed when rasterizing in the print menu, not by actually rasterizing the actual object.
    IP

I do not rasterize in print preview as I only do rasterization when it doesn't work elsewise. Automization when it works is a good thing, but when it doesn't, you do it manually.

Sally M. Bode
    IP