Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: JPEG Files: Keeping Originals

Quote Originally Posted by soenda View Post
    You make an extremely good point about the long term bet I'm making by saving psp files as archives. I'm old enough to remember Betamax video and even 8-track tape. Ouch. This I gotta think about.

I was surprised to see you say that RAW files are much smaller than TIFFs or psp files. I was under the impression that they were very much larger. In fact, that understanding had been part of my reluctance to bite the bullet and move up to a fancier camera. I do all my editing on a five-year-old laptop, and I thought it would choke on RAW files. This certainly encourages me to find out more about it. I understand that RAW files offer infinitely more opportunity to correct for things like white balance, which would be very nice indeed.

Thank you once again, Crypto. I should be anteing up tuition credit fees for the education I'm getting. (Please don't hold me to it, though. I'll be your first student AND your first drop out.)

RAW files on my Canon 30D (8 megapixel) come to 7-10MBs. JPEGS out of the camera average 4-7MB's. RAW Conversions to PSP, TIFF's and other uncompressed files average around 50MB's. HUGE difference. Some often don't realize that a RAW file is compressed with a special algorithm that maintains image quality.

Issues with RAW files mostly come with managing them and post processing. I found the hardest part to get used to is using windows explorer to view thumbnails. RAW files cannot be viewed in windows without a special RAW Image thumbnail viewer (Powertoy from Microsoft), however, it's not updated with the latest RAW image files.
    I use the explorer to help me catogorize and file images (Birds, People etc). This is easy if you can view the thumbs.

Photoshop,Lightroom, Paintshop and other postprocessing tools receive frequent updates to support the latest RAW files.

With all that said, I find the software that came with my Canon to very effective at processing RAW and manageing. Don't be affraid of RAW, it provides incredible flexibility in saving that perfect shot where you didn't quite have the camera set right and best of all, it can maintain image quality (with in reason of course).

good luck
    Last edited by Crypto; 15 March 2007 at 09:47 PM.
    IP