Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default An LX Live effects based on GIMP filters ?

As the Live effects in Xara Xtreme and Xtreme Pro are XPE based and this module will not be ported to Linux, could we expect another Live Effect system based on the Gimp filters ?

I can't live without them now ;-)

kindly,
    ivan
    IP

Default Re: An LX Live effects based on GIMP filters ?

hi,

where can i find the info, that the effect system will not ported to the linux version? i don't think, that the developers have imported the button for the live-effects only for fun. and i think, xara will make money by selling effect-plugins to linux users too

the effects in gimp are written for manipulate pixel graphics. i don't think, that they simply can ported to a vektor graphic application.

tarabaz
    Last edited by Tarabaz; 15 March 2007 at 11:43 PM.
    IP

The Live effects in the windows version are also meant to operate on bitmaps. All Xara does when you apply a live effect is rasterize the object to a bitmap and then run the plugin on that bitmap, using the results as the display for the object. Every time you edit the object, it performs the same steps.

So gimp effects in theory could also work the same way.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.
    IP

Hi Trabaz,

Quote Originally Posted by Tarabaz View Post
    the effects in gimp are written for manipulate pixel graphics. i don't think, that they simply can ported to a vektor graphic application.
    I saw similiar postings in other linux forums from other Linux users, too. Xara Xtreme is primarily a vector graphics editor, "but is one of the new generation of cross-over products that handles photos and drawings with equal ease." (source: Autopackage description of Xara Xtreme).

Perhaps a problem is, that some Linux users don't know the Windows version of Xara Xtreme in detail and only knows the (unfinished) Linux version (the current version is 0.7, not 1.0) of Xara Xtreme - together with all the voices which tries to compare Xara Xtreme with Inkscape.

Another problem is, that some people obviously don't like the idea, that Xara Xtreme could also be a replacement for a photo editor in a lot of areas. (I hear the voices already: "But you wouldn't say, that Xara Xtreme is a replacement for Photoshop or Gimp, wouldn't you?" The simple answer is: some Xara Xtreme functions are really better, faster and easier in order to manipulate and edit photos and some other functions not.) The important message is, that Xara Xtreme offers the great functionality to handle more than vectors.

Regards,
    Remi
    Last edited by remi; 16 March 2007 at 01:52 AM.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Odat View Post
    The Live effects in the windows version are also meant to operate on bitmaps. All Xara does when you apply a live effect is rasterize the object to a bitmap and then run the plugin on that bitmap, using the results as the display for the object. Every time you edit the object, it performs the same steps.

So gimp effects in theory could also work the same way.
    That's what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    Another problem is, that some people obviously don't like the idea, that Xara Xtreme could also be a replacement for a photo editor in a lot of areas.
    As I said on another forum, and even if I am a loyal Xara user and consider it as a wonderful tool, I am not a fan of oppositions between people who support different programs. What should be favorised in my mind is some kind of collaborative work. For example, there could be a bridge between XaraLX and the Gimp which allows the Gimp to work as XPE works with Xtreme on Windows system. Don't forget that Live effects are based on XPE and somebody from Xara on this forum said that XPE will probably not ported to Linux.

kindly,
    ivan
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by ivan louette View Post
    For example, there could be a bridge between XaraLX and the Gimp which allows the Gimp to work as XPE works with Xtreme on Windows system. Don't forget that Live effects are based on XPE and somebody from Xara on this forum said that XPE will probably not ported to Linux.
    Yes, this would be the right way. In my eyes it's not so important, which photo editor or graphics library is used for this. The bitmap filters should be fast and easy to handle.

The statement from Charles about XPE is to be found here.

Regards,
    Remi
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    Yes, this would be the right way. In my eyes it's not so important, which photo editor or graphics library is used for this. The bitmap filters should be fast and easy to handle.

The statement from Charles about XPE is to be found here.

Regards,
    Remi
    Thanks for remembering, Remi. That's always easier to move forward when things are clear.

kindly,
    ivan
    IP

hi,

many thanks for that information. it's not easy for me, to understand how the effect system works, cause the effects are full scalable, if their not be used with imported pixel graphics. are gimp effects work with a vektor like system and only the ready output will be transformed to a pixel graphic? if not, i really don't understand it

i know that xaraxtreme works with pixel graphics too, and i love this idea. i have used xtreme for the design of a fotobook. xtreme make it really easy to create professional looking work with the combine shapes, bevel and shadow tools.

i only hope, that xara for linux don't loose his speed, if the developners change the renderengine.

tarabaz
    IP

Ok, let's explain Live Effects a little bit in depth.

What are Live Effects?
    First, the official statement from the Xara homepage: "Live Effects are plug-in effects that can be applied to any object". [1]
    Any object means, you can apply a live effect to a vector object (rectangle, circle, shape, text, ...) but also to a bitmap object (or a group of different objects) within Xara Xtreme.
    Live Effects are called "Live" Effects "because the vector object remains editable just like a normal vector object. When you edit the object, the live effect is re-applied automatically to the new shape (this is not possible on some 'old-style' Photoshop® plug-ins).". [2]
    The Live Effects Tool works with Plugins from the included Xara Picture Editor or with Adobe Photoshop plug-ins.

What is possible with Live Effects?
    "The range of possible effects is almost unlimited. They vary from simple effects that alter the brightness, contrast or saturation or blur (this is provided by the built-in Enhance tool in the Xara Picture Editor) to more complex effects that alter almost every aspect of the visual appearance of the object." [2]

Give me an example

Regards,
    Remi

sources:
    [1] Xara Xtreme homepage
    [2] Xara Xtreme Pro Online Help
    Last edited by remi; 17 March 2007 at 10:26 PM.
    IP

Ivan posted some combinations of Brushes and Live Effects here.
    The principle is simple: Draw some lines with the Brush Tool and after that, apply some Live Effects from your Plugins. The lines are editable all the time and you can scale them, edit their handles, ...

Regards,
    Remi
    IP