Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Installing Webstyle 4 on Dell with Vista Business

I have been trying for days to get Webstyle 4 loaded on my new Vista PC. It worked great on XP Pro - but my office PC was replaced with a Vista machine.

Turning of UAC and signing in as an administrator I have gotten the product to load and unlock - BUT - very few of the items (in each category) can be clicked on without the buttons on the left turning gray. I have tried loading from the downloaded installer and from the CD. I have purchased a few packs so I should have tons of the graphics available to me.

The update process states I have all of my files up-to-date. It did go through a lengthy download process the first time through as it populated my templates. Well now that I have my templates downloaded WHAT CAN I DO TO USE THEM? There is no $ next to the graphics. They look just as they did on my XP Pro machine, except I cannot edit/save them. Well a small percentage I can.

Any ideas please let me know. I have put so many hours into this that I have to figure it out.

Thanks

Default Re: Installing Webstyle 4 on Dell with Vista Business

Have you tried right clicking the Webstyle icon and selecting "Run as Administrator" to start the program? Was UAC turned off when you downloaded your templates?

I have not had problems, but I disabled UAC and do not allow it to function. You may not have that option on your work computer.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I uninstalled webstyle. Then disabled UAC. I then installed webstyle from the downloaded file from Xara (I did not use my CD this time). I also run webstyle with the "run as administrator" selection.

I loads and downloads the templates. I get tons of them but I can only update like the first dozen from each type (buttons, logos, etc). The dollar signs are not there, but the buttons are grayed out. I clicked in the upper left and the "about" shows my serial number. I have 3 template packs purchased and it looks like they are downloaded. I just cannot edit them.

I went to a windows 2000 server machine and webstyle loaded and all the content is editable. Soooo what am I doing wrong - or - what is wrong with webstyle that I cannot edit the content?

Is there a way to tell if the registry entries are correct?

SOS!

From your post, you have done the same things I have done on Vista. I can edit all templates (I have all 5 of the current template packs).

Were your templates purchased using the same account that Webstyle was purchased?

The following is direct from the Xara Support site:

If you are confident that your template packs are in the same account as Webstyle, please try the following procedure:
    1. Close down Webstyle if it is open.
    2. Click Start then Run. Type regedit and click OK.
    3. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Xara\Webstyle 4\Startup.
    4. Right click on the registry entry named Template Version and select Modify. Set the value data to 0 (zero) and click OK.
    5. Restart Webstyle. Click on the top left corner to display the system menu and select Don't Connect Automatically.
    6. Click the Update Webstyle button.
    7. Enter your email address and password and click Connect to download your templates.
    Please follow these steps to ensure you are connecting to the proper account:
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I signed on as Administrator with UAC disabled. I then regedited as suggested. I got pages and pages of items, but they all say "xara downloading". If I click on the "xara downloading", the item shows above but the buttons are grayed out.

The grayed out buttons occur on 90% of the items I click on. I have unloaded and reloaded like 10 times now. At this point I when I click on the Update, it says it is current, then it goes through the download of all the items. When done, the thumbnails are not there and the buttons are grayed out for most of the items. Everytime I click on the update, it redownloads all the items, but without thumbnails.

Any other ideas?

Sorry, no more ideas here.

Have you opened a ticket with Xara Support? http://support.xara.com
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I submitted a ticket. I did one on March 3rd and by March 9th the problem I was asking about went away. I updated the ticket stating the problem was gone. I still have not received a response on it. That is 10 days and counting - so I am not holding my breath on this ticket either.

As far as I can tell - you are my tech support, and I thank you for trying.

hi The required information has been present within the xara knowledge base for quite some time

http://support.xara.com/index.php?_m...articleid=2466

Thanks

Hi BB2,

Thanks for the post and the link. It's been awhile since you have been here.

I'm not sure how the information in the link applies to Vista's Webstyle templates being grayed out. Information in Vista's posts indicate he has done everything according to the info in the link plus doing it with UAC disabled and nothing has worked.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Another thought occurred to me tonight.

Right click on the shorcut for Webstyle. Select Properties. Select the Compatibility tab. Click to put a tick in the "Run this program in compatibility mode for" check box. The default is "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)".

Maybe this will allow the templates to register correctly.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update