Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Moving Image effect

I want to place a series of photos on top of each other.
    These photos will be a close up shot of someones head in various position, looking in different directions.
    I need to place the images on top of each other so that you can see all images - giving the effect that you are seeing a still image of someones head that has moved several times.
    I hope that makes sense - can anyone help?
    IP

Default Re: Moving Image effect

Hi Carla - welcome to talk graphics

2 things:
    - which photoshop are you using;
    - are the photographs portrait types with plain backgrounds or more complex?

Its basically a question of using layers, extraction filter, and transparency levels
    If you are not familiar with these here are just two tutorials [there are plenty around]:
    http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutorials/layers/intro.htm
    http://creativebits.org/photoshop/the_extract_tool

If you need specific guidance posting up a copy of the image or similar that you wish to use would be helpful
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Since you're asking this question, we'll assume you have only a marginal understanding of all Photoshop's tools and abilities. That's just an observation too btw not a dig.

You'll need to familiarize yourself with Layer Masks for this effect.

In essence, you'll want to have the straight-on photo on the lowest layer in the palette. And all of the angled views on the layers above that. Using Layer Masks on the angled view layers, you need to apply a gradient blend to the head that fades out at the back of the head -- thus leaving the face visible and blending the back of the head/face into the photo on the layer below.

FYI the type of gradient to use is Linear, and you'd apply it to the layer mask as white-to-black; and over the head in the photo.

This is a quick take on the effect, but i hope that, along with the ideas mentioned by handrawn, it gets you started on the right track.

PS: just so you know... another way to apply this effect, that i've seen used in movies like The Matrix, is to apply a motion blur to the back half of the head (for the angled view layers). It creates the effect of the head being caught on film moving very fast from side-to-side. But, that's another story for another time.
    IP

Good reply Mark and it is so nice to hear from you again.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP