Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Anyone volunteer for an Inkscape to .xar exporter ?

I know that should be better if Xara could import svg, but ... At the moment only those who own Xara Xtreme PRO on Windows can easily open PDF from Inkscape.

kindly,
    ivan
    IP

Default Re: Anyone volunteer for an Inkscape to .xar exporter ?

As you say, I would prefer to complete the work on the SVG export/import filter of Xara Xtreme for Linux. In my eyes, Xara Xtreme is a more useful vector editor and therefore it's better to create vector drawings within Xara Xtreme and export them to SVG if it's necessary.

Remi
    IP

Of course I understand.

kindly,
    ivan
    IP

Even though it's not an XML standardized format like SVG, a xar exporter would definitely be nice to have in Inkscape. The compactness of the xar format is great. But honestly, I would prefer to see a xar importer take first priority.
    IP

Has anyone made a suggestion to the developers of Inkscape about implementing an import filter for .xar files?

I would think they would be more inclined to do so than any of the so called industry standard companies like Adobe and Corel as it would highlight their lack of support for some of Xara's transparency and fill types.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Has anyone made a suggestion to the developers of Inkscape about implementing an import filter for .xar files?

I would think they would be more inclined to do so than any of the so called industry standard companies like Adobe and Corel as it would highlight their lack of support for some of Xara's transparency and fill types.
    I think it has been discussed before, but definitely hasn't been a priority. Up to this point, I think that lack of a xar importer is in part due to Inkscape's inability to replicate some of Xara's transparency and fill types, as you stated. But I also think it can also be attibuted to the fact that the xar format has not been very widely adopted, and is frowned upon by some as an aged and non-standardized format.

Maybe though with Inkscape's capabilities progressing so nicely, we will see a xar importer in the near future. At least I would expect that we'll get a xar importer long before, if ever, we get an exporter.
    IP