Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Do you think the the Adobe/Macromedia merger is good for graphics software?

Voters
368. This poll is closed
  • Yes

93 25.27%
  • No

250 67.93%
  • No opinion

25 6.79%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Adobe/Macromedia merger

Do you think the the Adobe/Macromedia merger is good for graphics software?

Vote in the poll, then discuss what you think (free registration required for posting comments).
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.
    IP

Default Re: Adobe/Macromedia merger

Lack of competition is never good for the end user.
    IP

Not only is lack of competition bad, I have found that Macromedia offered functionality lacking in Adobe products. No one tool does it all, but now with the merger, will we be allowed to have both. I often reach for Fireworks over Photoshop for certain functions.
    IP

It's a horrible idea.

Adobe invades almost everyone with a computer that needs a PDF viewer. Macromedia invades almost everyone that uses a browser that uses Flash.

I do like standards, but not when private companies set them and force users to adhere to them whether they like them or not.

anyway...blah blah and blah blah blah
    IP

The only advantage I can see to this merger is that it puts most of the krap products in a single portfolio. There is not a product from either that I have used that I find preferable to other similar products. Adobe's workflow blows goats and Macromedia's way of doing animation is the most absurd thing I have ever seen. In contrast, companies like Corel, the eternal underdogs, have always had to try that much harder and their products are clearly superior as a result. Adobe's stand at NAB had no Macromedia presence at all and I didn't see a separate Macromedia stand anywhere [but that is possibly because they don't really have any broadcast/video tools].
    IP

Do you think the the Adobe/Macromedia merger is good for graphics software?
    Both companies have their foundations within the Apple Mac camp. You can knock Microsoft as much as you want, but one of it's great achievements is to bring cheap functional software to the masses. The only area where this doesn't dominate is within the print industry, where neanderthals insist we do it their way (Industry Standard etc.)

This merger will only compound their dominance.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

For me that's a shame that the European Commission didn't opposite to this merger. EC had the power to do it in it' its role to defend the consumer against commercial monopoles.

ivan
    IP

Re: Adobe/Macromedia merger

I dislike Adobe and its practices, only use Acrobat because I need to... do like Dreamwaver a lot!

Hate the Idea...
    IP

I think it's amazing that these two companies merged! When people realize that there is better and cheaper (even free!) software out there - two of the most overrated SW developers will be killed off with one stone.
    IP

Hmmm... But DO let Dreamweaver live...
    IP