Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default problem with start (linux)

I can't start Xara under Mdk 10.1, the only report I get is:

xaralx: symbol lookup error: xaralx: undefined symbol: pango_context_get_font_map

It was installed from autopackage. (The libstdc++5 and pango package are installed)

thanks in advance

Seb.
    IP

Default Re: problem with start (linux)

My first thought, is glib installed? see if theres a libpango package to install.
    Last edited by con; 23 May 2007 at 12:27 PM.
    IP

Hi:
    Con's suggestion about checking libpango is a good start, it's one of the dependencies for Mepis with Xara LX. The font map portion of the message makes me wonder, I've had problems in Xara LX with both Vector Linux and Mepis with fonts installed from any source other than the Synaptic package manager, so I stay with what's installed on the distro or I can install through Synaptic. Also had a problem with Microsoft Truetype core fonts installed through Synaptic, so those did not last either.
    Just noticed that you mentioned libstdc++5, I have libstdc++6 listed as a dependency and this is with XLX 0.7 r1692.
    Other than that: double checking dependencies and the version numbers, reinstalling from a different source. Just the basics.
    Good luck with it,
    Scott
    Last edited by Shaman; 24 May 2007 at 02:49 AM.
    "I do not think that I will ever reach a stage when I will say, "This is what I believe. Finished." What I believe is alive... and open to growth."
    Madeleine L'Engle
    IP

thanks or your interest,

I had installed libstdc++5 and libstdc++6 both version 3.3.4 also
    pango and its libraries: pango and libpango1.0_0 version 1.4.1 and
    libglib2.0_0 version 2.4.6.
    I have tried also to set enviromental variables, like

export GTK_PATH=/usr/lib/gtk-2.0
    export PANGO_RC_FILE=/etc/pango/pangorc
    export GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE=/etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders

and always get, after the splash appearing :

xaralx: symbol lookup error: xaralx: undefined symbol: pango_context_get_font_map

May the compliation from a source help for this problem ?

Seb.
    IP

Compiling from source might help. I haven't learned to do it yet, but many Linux users swear by it.
    I've also noticed that sometimes when I open up a terminal window and either as a user or even more often as root (after entering "su"), run an app like Xara from cl, that app will open. If you haven't tried that you might want to.
    Scott
    "I do not think that I will ever reach a stage when I will say, "This is what I believe. Finished." What I believe is alive... and open to growth."
    Madeleine L'Engle
    IP