Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Michael, I think you and -Rob- got your wires crossed. He did get it working. But I too think it would be cool to have an email to contact --just in case.

Back to WScript, yes, thank you to both Michael and Sean. That was the info I needed. I wasn't sure if Wscript came from a program that was important or not. (Can't get too much more important than win 98 itself!)

I didn't upgrade from Win'95 OSR2 to Win '98SE 'til late last year.(had to finish getting my mileage out of 95 OSR2). I figured somebody in this thread would know about Wscript off-hand and apparently you did. Thank you once again!

Sean, I forgot to add to my previous post that I use the Ctrl-Alt-Del to shut down both Wscript and qwdll and then my version of Norton Speed Disk for windows works flawlessly on drive C: . (that's when I fell asleep at the keyboard -- sorry)

Boy, you bring back memories. . . DOS??? Just a few months back I sent in a Rebate for the newer version of Norton Utilities and I had to send in a front page from the manual of my previous version. So I ripped out the page from Norton Utilities 8 (you remember back in the DOS and Win 3.11 days) (My mother had bought the Norton utilities for Win95 OSR2 so we weren't that behind) but I just couldn't help laughing at what the rebate people would think about our major upgrade from Norton Utilites 8 (the DOS era) all the way to Norton Utilities for Win'98.

I'm curious, do you keep a DOS folder with all the good ol' DOS files in it. I sometimes get frustrated when working on a friend's win '95 or '98 systems that don't really have all the old DOS files. I end up having to bring my important DOS files with me.

Anyway, thank you so very much for the info at least now I know it is important. (that W did have an ominous sound to it -- it made me wonder if it was microsoft's fault. Now I know it is [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Athena

I wasn't sure whether WSCRIPT was in memory before or only after running Speed Disk, i.e. whether it was part of the Speed Disk process. If it's part of Speed Disk and you shut it down while Speed Disk is running, it may only appear to have solved the problem. WSCRIPT doesn't do anything on its own - it's invoked by another program to run a script. That other program could be Speed Disk, Quicken or something else that you haven't mentioned. If you can be bothered, try shutting down just one program at a time to find the rogue.

I use real DOS when I want to be certain about what's happening, such as when fixing low level problems. I also keep a variety of DOS utilities that duplicate Windows programs so that I can work and / or recover a Windows failure. I have a number of DOS CAD programs that work much faster than their Windows equivalents, so I have no intention of 'upgrading' them. I've found no great need for additional features, so I continue to use MS Works 2 for my spreadsheet requirements, even though I have Excel and Lotus 123.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean
    IP

Having had this problem, the Norton speeddisk restart problem can arise where there is a virus background monotor (even Norton's own program) in memory. Alternatively, the problem may go away if you do run "Start|Run|sd32.exe /reset / noanimation" (I got this from Symantec). Although it worked for me, I now use Ontrack for this.

Am I the only person still using QEdit 2.15 in DOS? It works fasssssst (although I sometimes use version 4 for a bit more power). Some of my images are flowcharts which come into Inspiration as indented text files (from QEdit) and are exported to JPG format when I have the boxes, text and colours and whatever as I want them. Otherwise, i would have stopped using text!

Jon
    Jon
    IP