Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I use Corel Xara on a WinNT4 SR5 OS already for a long time. But now a failure appears when I try to start Xara:

"Procedure enty point "UrlGetLocationW" can not be found in the Dynamic Link Library "SHLWAPI.dll""

(translated from german)

I already uninstalled and reinstalled Xara, but it didn't help.

What can I do? Please help!!!

- rob - [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    IP

I use Corel Xara on a WinNT4 SR5 OS already for a long time. But now a failure appears when I try to start Xara:

"Procedure enty point "UrlGetLocationW" can not be found in the Dynamic Link Library "SHLWAPI.dll""

(translated from german)

I already uninstalled and reinstalled Xara, but it didn't help.

What can I do? Please help!!!

- rob - [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    IP

Winters where it\'s cold, summers where it\'s hot

....installed anything else recently?

Dennis

<a href=http://www.inconnect.com/~dennisco/>Carillus Design</a>
    <a href=http://www.djart.com>DJArt & Design</a>
    IP

We discussed these "faults" extensively in the original discussion forum, even before The Crash ...

MS has a habit to change it's own OS at will. One of the most stressed DLL's are the Microsoft Foudation Classes, christened MFC's. ...

If there are major changes to the OS which stop programs ftrom functioning my first suspect is the dreaded MFC42.DLL. Latest version is now at 6.00.8665.0.

Also check MSHTML.OCX, OLEPRO32.DLL and the Visual C++ runtimes, MSVCRT*.DLL.

In a fit, you could try to extract them from one of the latest CD you have (check date and version!) or try to manually extract them from Xara's CD. As these files should be backwards compatible, some things should work ...

Best of Luck and let us know how you fared!
    IP

Rob

SHLWAPI.dll is a system add-on DLL that CX doesn't access directly. It may have come with your SR but is definitely included with IE4/5 and probably with other MS products from 1998 onwards. If the problem coincided with updating a MS product, you could have your answer.

SHLWAPI is general purpose, but the error message seems to relate to the Internet. If the problem isn't with the file itself, it's probably with another Internet-related DLL calling it. Try going to Add/Remove Programs, click Add/Remove and choose the Repair option for IE. Alternatively, just reinstall IE.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean
    IP

Further to what I said above, this may be a known bug relating to IE and programs created with the MS Office Developer's Edition. The latter install incompatible versions of Urlmon.dll and Wininet.dll, both of which call SHLWAPI.dll and are themselves called by CX. My advice remains the same, however reinstallation of IE seems a more likeley cure.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean
    IP

Thanks a lot for your replies.

In the last time I installed Smartdraw 5 Prof.. I think, that was the reason, because that programm allows a smart integration with MS office products.
    Because its a company pc, where the Netscape Browser is installed, I couln't install the MS IE. But I copied the shlwapi.dll from another pc with MS IE5 --> AND IT WORKS AGAIN!

Thats great. Thanks again for your help.

- rob - [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    IP

While we're talking about Windows and the net,

Which program put WSCRIPT in my win 98SE? Was it always there in 98SE and I just now finally caught on?

I ask because any time I try to use Norton Speed Disk on my C: drive, the speed disk program will re-start and re-start without accomplishing anything. (speed disk does fine on the other drives but only on C: )I do Ctrl-Alt-Del and end task on wscript and qwdll. . .something or other.

I'm guessing the qwdll came from Quicken.

I just wondered about wscript.

Athena
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

I tried to contact Rob this morning, hoping that I could help since we hadn't heared from him in the last days ... His e-mail address wasn't listed with this conference. I do hope everybody will give at least an address so other memebers of this forum might help without interfering this forum ...

On the subject of wscript.dll. My guess is that it's the proprietary Windows Script Runtime Library but one can check by selecting the file in Explorer and clicking the secondary mouse button (usually the right ...)Then, in the context menu, choose Properties. In the following dialogue go for the Version tab and a lot of the more intimate details of the file will be revealed, like versionnumber, original filename and manufacturer ...

[This message was edited by Michael on September 11, 2000 at 08:02 AM.]
    IP

WSCRIPT.exe (Windows Scripting Host) is an integral part of Win 98 (possibly as a DLL) but also comes with IE5. Since the latest version I have seems to date from '97, it was probably available as an update for Win 95 too. I think it's unlikely to be the root cause of the problem.

I have a DOS version of Speed Disk that needs to be run outside of Windows because Windows is multi-tasking and can write to the disk in the background. I'm sure Norton have thought of ways round this problem, however it may be necessary to shut down all background processes. What does the Speed Disk help file say?

Regards - Sean

[This message was edited by Sean Sedwards on September 11, 2000 at 08:37 AM.]
    Regards - Sean
    IP