Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Hi-Resolution Graphics Help Inquiry

Have you tried the method I suggested? Making a separate black and white mask image from the original picture, then enlarging both with PhotoZoom and using the enlarged mask version to create the transparency? I'm sure you are familiar with importing grayscale images to create selections and alpha channels in bitmap editors. That should take care of the noisy areas in the transparent portions. If the mask image itself becomes noisy, a little fiddling with the levels control should fix the problem.
    If the fringing effect is still present, perhaps you could shrink the selection a bit before filling in the cyan color in the background?
    So 8 bit transparency is supported in the game engine. What about the transparency in the original extracted image? Is it 8 bit too? From 256 colors, I would expect only a 1 bit transparency is available. But from mac's last example, it does seem like it is supporting graduated transparency.

Thumbs up Re: Hi-Resolution Graphics Help Inquiry

Graf...

You are far more advanced in the graphics community than I am... that's why I started a thread here and that's to hopefully learn about graphics editing.
    You're being sure that I'm familiar with some of the graphic's techniques is slightly "off base"! It sounds like there isn't too much you can't do with graphics. I envy this! If you're willing to take the time to guide me through some of these processes, I'd sure be grateful.
    mac53 a.k.a. Darrell

Haha, well, I'm just a hobbyist. I try my best to keep up with the real pros here. You are the pro, since you do this for a living .
    Here's a little link to masking in PSP: http://www.webreference.com/graphics/column23/
    So what you do is to create a copy of the unresized image. In the copy, select the transparent colors, fill it with black, invert the selection and fill that with white. Then use PhotoZoom to enlarge the black and white image. Load the result in the mask channel (via copy and paste? not sure since I don't have PSP, but that's the first thing I'd try.), and you have your selection to play with.
    BTW, I downloaded a copy of the trial version of PhotoZoom just to check it out. There are lots of parameters to tweak under the Presets: Generic. Perhaps you could find one which minimizes the unwanted colors? (Artificial Detail to zero perhaps?)

Hey GMan, I'm a hobbiest user of graphics

I think your idea of using masks may be the only solution. I've tried everything I can think of and have attempted to use masks but don't have an experience using them.

I'll have to give it another go tomorrow evening as it is past my bed time. Four AM comes way to fast when you don't get to bed before 10:30 PM (22:30 hours for any old military people out there )
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Red face Re: Hi-Resolution Graphics Help Inquiry

Quote Originally Posted by Grafixman View Post
    Haha, well, I'm just a hobbyist. I try my best to keep up with the real pros here. You are the pro, since you do this for a living
    Who's the Pro here? No buddy, you've obviously have the wrong impression about me! If by any chance I casted that impression among the forum, even-though it was unintentional, is a mistake! I will make this clear right now in writing on an opened forum... "I am absolutely NO Pro"! I am as green at this, as one could be! I'd like to think myself as a hobbyist, too. It's the Pros that I'm looking for, and man I'll tell you what... finding them is hard or they simply don't respond to these posts.
    mac53 a.k.a. Darrell

Thumbs up Re: Hi-Resolution Graphics Help Inquiry

I just want to add this extra post here to thank the forum's two members
    for what they are trying to do to help me with this new experience. I'm a member at quite of few forums and a moderator at one of them. I just would like to say that this forum's members has shown what a forum is truely about.
    Helping folks who are interested in the same things that they are interested in, and not criticizing those who don't! I thank you guys... I thank you very much!!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and BTW Bill... I've been out of the military now for 34 years. 10:30 is fine...
    Rest well friend...
    Last edited by mac53; 01 March 2007 at 04:54 AM.
    mac53 a.k.a. Darrell

You're in good company, then. If none of my harebrained idea works, at least it was a fun way to pass the free time.
    Below is a simple diagram of the process I was suggesting. Selecting and filling colors, alpha channels and layer masking I leave to Bill. After you have a nice extraction, you could show the background layer and fill that with cyan. Flatten the image and you should (in theory ) have a clean transparency for your game.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	masking_process.gif 
Views:	142 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	35426  

Post Re: Hi-Resolution Graphics Help Inquiry

Listen... I found out that I "Bit off a little more than I can chew"...

Consider this thread Closed...and I thank you very much for your attention and time.

THREAD CLOSED
    mac53 a.k.a. Darrell

Darrell that happens to all of us.

I'll lock the thread, but if you want it reopened at a later time let me know.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Unlocked thread at the request of Darrell (Mac53).
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update