Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Re: Hi-Resolution Graphics Help Inquiry

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    I'm not sure how the Doom II engine is handling the larger ppi to display it's flats, sprites, etc.
    The engine requires a scripting file that tells it to reduce the 4x sized textures to their original size. There can be two seperate entries... one is called a "Decorate" and the other, which is much older, is referred to as "Dehacked". Now, without getting too deep into it, [beacuse this is really not the place for it], these entries allow larger and Hi-Res textures to be entered and displayed, not only showing better detail at distances, but increases the the clarity, color and definition while in the close-up contacts.
    You boys would have to see this to understand what it is I'm trying to do for the Doom 2 authoring community. It's a seriously tough job to do and I'm looking to crack it.

Default Re: Hi-Resolution Graphics Help Inquiry

Thanks for the info Mac53. I saw references to the Dehacked when I was reading yesterday.

Am I correct in assuming that this Decorate entry also allows you to use png files in place of the bmp files?

If that assumption is correct, do you use 24 bit png files or are you able to use 32 bit (24 bit colour with 8 bit alpha transparency)?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Wink Re: Hi-Resolution Graphics Help Inquiry

I'm not real sure about the alpha transparency right at the moment, Bill. I have been reading that, I think that instead of the color "cyan", that the Doom 2 engine uses as transparent and especially when the textures are loaded into wad form as "raw data", then the alpha transparency is then supported, replacing the "cyan" color. One step at a time, 'ol buddy! Excellent question though. You know, I'm finding out that you guys here are great... keeping me on my toes.

Oh yeah...BTW... I bought the software... it's a seriously nice piece of work that is definitely needed in my graphics arsenal... thank you for that one!

Actually, with the extension port engines for Doom 2, [Zdoom & Gzdoom, just to name a few], supports the png format in place of the bitmap. Now, here's the thing... I use a program called "Xwe" for extracting and loading textures from and into the Doom engine format, known as .wad. Now, here's the ticket... no matter what format I use to load these graphics into wad form, Xwe automatically converts them back into the infamous 256 8 bit palette. Now, in order to get around this, all texture, flats and sprites has to be loaded into Xwe in "raw data" format and then a "Dehacked" or "Decorate" file has to writen in order to tell the port engine how to handle these entries. Then, it goes on, it gets a little deeper than this, such details that doesn't need to be posted, right at the moment. Now, don't forget one thing guys, I'm only about eight months or so into Doom map building, so there's a ton more I have to learn. I hope I explained this for you okay, Bill!
    Last edited by mac53; 26 February 2007 at 05:01 PM.

Wow, yes! I'm a believer now!
    So why aren't the bigtime programs like Adobe jumping into the S-Spline algorithm bandwagon? I imagine if they could get their hands on it, or something similar, it would probably be an excuse to jack up the price for the next version...
    The sprite enlargement photos are fantastic. PhotoZoom is one software I definitely have to look into.
    Looks like you have your work well underway with this program, mac53. Happy hacking...maybe you should get in touch with the "Xwe" program developers to see if there is a workaround for the 8bit pallette conversion.

Thumbs up Re: Hi-Resolution Graphics Help Inquiry

Quote Originally Posted by Grafixman View Post
    Wow, yes! I'm a believer now!
    So why aren't the bigtime programs like Adobe jumping into the S-Spline algorithm bandwagon? I imagine if they could get their hands on it, or something similar, it would probably be an excuse to jack up the price for the next version...
    The sprite enlargement photos are fantastic. PhotoZoom is one software I definitely have to look into.
    Looks like you have your work well underway with this program, mac53. Happy hacking...maybe you should get in touch with the "Xwe" program developers to see if there is a workaround for the 8bit pallette conversion.
    There is a way to work around that issue within Xwe, Graf. All I have to do is to load the png's as "raw data", then that way, the Doom 2 engine extension port Gzdoom will do the rest... that's after I write the Decorate file entry telling it what to do, that is!

Come to think of it, I think Adobe does have a software that does this kind of graphics work... don't remember the name of it though, but I do remember it costing around 1,200 bucks.

Question Re: Transparency Question

Before converting my sprite textures into the Hi-Res's, I'm transforming the "cyan" blue background into Alpha-Transparency and what's happening is that when the coversion has been complete, I have colored pixels scattered throughout the transparent area. I have to go back and manually transform these back to transparent. A lot of work! Is there some way around my having to do this manually? Some software that will help me out?

Hi Mac,

Did you try keeping the cyan background?

I've never noticed PhotoZoom putting in radom pixels of colour in a transparent png with Alpha transparent background. I have a slightly older version than the trial download now available.

I'll check back later.....have to do some work for my employer (can't enjoy Talkgraphics all day, can I ).
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Mac,

Did you try keeping the cyan background?

I've never noticed PhotoZoom putting in radom pixels of colour in a transparent png with Alpha transparent background. I have a slightly older version than the trial download now available.

I'll check back later.....have to do some work for my employer (can't enjoy Talkgraphics all day, can I ).
    Yeah well, it's doing it, brother!!! Now whether it's PhotoZoom doing it or not, because I'm also using Corel's PhotoShop Pro along with Micro's Photo Editor... one of'em's doin it. I'm setting the alpha-tranparency before the Hi-Res process begins. You can't imagine what it's like to try to set it after the process! Much more work involved!!!

Mac, would you mind posting one of the original extracted .bmp files? Or email it to me if you don't want to attach it here at Talkgraphics. You can access my email address by clicking on my username in the upper left of this post.

I would like to play around with one to see what the programs I have available can accomplish.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Cool Re: Hi-Resolution Graphics Help Inquiry

Mac, would you mind posting one of the original extracted .bmp files? Or email it to me if you don't want to attach it here at Talkgraphics. You can access my email address by clicking on my username in the upper left of this post.

I would like to play around with one to see what the programs I have available can accomplish.
    Guess what, Bill...

There's no email contact... maybe I'll send you a pm to see if that works.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I guess I can't send you a pm either...

I guess we're going to have to find a way to make contact outside the forum... I just checked both profiles and neither of us has an email contact posted. What baffles me is that I choose the option of an email address in my profile.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

click on my user-name and look at "Interests".
    Last edited by mac53; 28 February 2007 at 01:14 AM.