Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Logo to improve

Default Logo to improve

Hi - I am working on an ad book for my son's school and my graphic design days were a long time ago - i just purchased the Adobe Creative Suite and am in the learning curve. If anyone has advice on improving this logo without starting over, i would appreciate it. It is attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IP

Default Re: Logo to improve

Simply re-drawing it in Illustrator should make it cleaner than what you have here. If it's for your son's school "ad book" (not sure what that is...) I doubt that anyone expects you to do a logo 'make-over'.

What have you been able to accomplish so far?

Risto
    IP

Went the redo route - couldn't make it look better - by redraw did you mean live trace?
    Here is where i am - until tomorrow!
    Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

Re-drawing = drawing it again from scratch. It's not a complicated logo... And it seems that you are on you way, and almost done already.

It would be better if you replaced the attachments here with JPGs or GIFs - this way more people will see what you are trying to do, and where you are at.

Risto
    IP

Thanks - i am now wondering how to curve the font edges. I cannot seem to find out how to turn text into editable objects. If you know, [lpease advise! Have a great day!

Ah ha - Modifying letterforms as graphic objects -now why did that search string not occur to me - tee hee - still cannot just round the edges, though - hmmm

I added anchor points and deleted them - but still cutting on straight line - no cookie cuttters in adobe?

Managed two versions - as good as it's going to get i think - at least for today.
    Last edited by qdesign; 24 February 2007 at 03:08 PM. Reason: update
    IP

Gave it a try. Not sure on the font.

Danny
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AccurateTools.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	35321  
    IP

That look awesome! Thanks so much - I would love to know how you got the text to look like that!
    Thank you again
    IP

Did in AI cs2 hope you can open it. Had to change the text to "Outlines" found in the text menu which was one question you asked just in case you don't have the font. Best thing that you can learn in Illy is how to finger hop when using the Pen Toll using Shift, Ctrl and Alt. This takes a bit of practice but once you can handle it it is just as quick than using live trace and it is much cleaner.

What I would suggest is to buy Adobe Illustrator Classroom book as that covers the basics of using the Pen Tool better than all the rest. If you can master the pen tool you are 2/3 there to be coming an expert in AI, so stick at it and keep away from the live tool unless it is a line sketch that you are tracing.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Smile Re: Logo to improve

Wow - that is beautiful! Thank you!

I actually purchased the Classroom book and had done the first few lessons when i needed to start this ad book. So now i am sort of flying by the seat of pants doing whatever it takes to get the job done. I am really looking forward to going back to the book and working in a methodical way.

I think this forum is so great - what an advantage to have!

Thank you so much for your help and advice. I'm sure i will need more of it!
    IP