Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Intel Macs and Xara

I recently bought Xtreme Pro and thought it did support Mac. I've just now bought my first Mac and found Xara does not support it. The whole ethos and culture of Xara is one of innovation, simplicity and creative - three words which also accurately describe Apple, and the fact that most designers recommend a Mac just shows there is massive Xara userbase that so far is only touched virtually through Parallells.

In light of this, I might request a refund if I can and go back to the standard Xtreme as the Pro-only features are rarely used. Of course I'll have to use that in Parallells too, but I could do with the upgrade money spent on Pro.

Maybe I should just get a Windows PC? But experience says that a few years down the line I'll regret that.

I've used both Windows and Mac computers, and in my opinion, the Mac is not better.
    That's right, I said it, Not better!

Yes it has some great programs. but I found the Mac operating system to be actually more frustrating than Windows.
    I'm not baiting an argument here, rather I'm suggesting that those of you who are considering switching over to Mac really spend some time on one before you
    put your money down and make the change.
    Better safe than sorry!
    Again, this is only my opinion.
    - Andrew

I just ordered my MAC and it will be here in a few days. Rather than feeling I am a "defector" as Gary termed, I intend to use Xara first in BootCamp and later when I can afford more RAM, from Parallels. There are loads of interesting things to do on a MAC even though it may take me a while to get used to the OS. Opportunities for graphic artists are better when they are well versed on the MAC and it is an investment in my future.

It all boils down to if something is better, use it, which is why I use Xara instead of Illustrator and also why I use CorelDRAW instead of Illustrator.

And if it comes to what delivers more computing power for the money, yes it costs money to switch. It also costs money to not switch too. I've seen Windows Vista reviews and I am not pleased. We may at work switch to MACs too as MACs know how to run the peripherals we use and it is easier to get up and running that way than upgrading to Windows Vista believe it or not. I'm just getting ready for the future.

It would be nice if that version of Xara for MAC got fully ported for MAC, there is a market for it. Many of those I know who use Illustrator are green with envy over what Xara can do.

The other rumor I heard is that Adobe would like to acquire Xara. Which is terrible if it is true. I certainly hope Charles specified that Magix couldn't do that when he sold to them.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode

There seem to be a lot of us considering going over to Mac. I'm waiting for release of Leopard in UK, and the first service pack for Vista before I make up my mind
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by AndFarr View Post
    I've used both Windows and Mac computers, and in my opinion, the Mac is not better.
    - Andrew
    Well, I tend to agree. I've been using a Powerbook casually for several months now and find that there are several things I'm used to that I can't or don't know how to do. I confess that I've been using Windows since day one, but nonetheless do not find the Mac OS X more intuitive. Simple things like right click for menu options, wheel mouse, and just plain navigating around to find things or even installing apps and understanding where they install. Not saying it's bad, but just different enough that I feel less productive, rather than more. In time that might change, but it isn't automatic...

You may already know this but I suggest the first thing to do with a Mac is to put the Apple mouse in a drawer and plug in a "normal" USB three-button wheel mouse instead. Right-clicking in MacOSX opens a context menu and the wheel scrolls windows as you'd expect.

Phil

Hi all

I got a MacBook last weekend. I've downloaded a trial of Parallels Desktop and installed Windows XP. Xara Xtreme Pro seems to work fine which I'm really happy about. Will let you know more when I've had chance to experiment.

Amanda

Quote Originally Posted by sallybode View Post
    The other rumor I heard is that Adobe would like to acquire Xara...
    Where did you hear that from out of interest?

And what is the reason why people defer to Macs, again out of interest?
    Last edited by Xhris; 04 June 2007 at 02:22 AM.

What about Xara lx, is there a version ready that can be installed on Mac.

I am about to acquire my first mac computer and i am definitely leaving Windows forever.

I know there is Inkscape available on mac, which is good. But Xara LX has ver good features i i would really like to install it on my mac.

There is no way that i am contaminate my MacBook by installing windows with boot Camp. There will be only one operating system on my mac and that will be Mac OS.

any help will be vey much appreciated.

Unfortunately, there are no Mac OS X developers available/willing to do the necessary porting of Xara LX to Mac OS X. The whole project is an open source project and depends on the good will of the Open Source Community. So, it's up to you or other Mac OS X fans to search for the right Mac OS X developers to do the job. I know, my answer is not satisfying for you, but it reflects the status of the Mac OS X porting since 1 year.

Remi