Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Freespire install problem

I downloaded RecXaraLX0.7_rev1692.package
    Followed: http://www.autopackage.org/docs/howto-install/
    and got...
    Checking for required C library versions ... failed

Error: Your copy of glibc, a core system library, is too old for this package.
    You need at least the following symbols in glibc: GLIBC_2.3.4.

This error normally means that whoever built the package did not build it correctly.
    Please report the contents of this message to the provider of this package, and ask them to rebuild it using apbuild.

Upgrading glibc is highly dangerous, so we recommend in this situation that you compile the app you want to install from the sources if possible. Sorry

Error: Unable to prepare package Xara Xtreme Vector Graphics Tool.
    I'm using Freespire 1.0.13

I've never done an install from source before
    Is there any other way I could try to install it?
    IP

Default Re: Freespire install problem

I had the same problem with Ubuntu 64-bit version of Edgy (6.10) but not the 32-bit one. I do believe that glibc has to be built into the kernel or something like that. I think maybe the path is not right for a 'package' install.

Maybe Alex or someone else here can give us a clue as to what the issue really is.

frank
    IP

Default Re: Freespire install problem

This has nothing to do with a wrong path.
    According to distrowatch freespire 1.0 uses glibc version 2.3.2, so the error message is pretty self explanatory , xaralx requires (or at least checks for) glibc version 2.3.4 (or higher) in order to compile.

While theoretically you should be able to have more then one version of each library installed in this case I would advise not to try anything of this sort since a wrong glibc could easily bring down your system.

You can try opening up the xaralx makefile in an editor, finding the glibc reference and changing it to require version 2.3.2 ,obviously this is not guaranteed to work but it might be worth a shot.
    IP