Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Is it a bug or simply not enough ram for X3?

I am having a problem that is more of an irritation than a real technical difficulty but it is not one I ever experienced with any other Corel version. I regularly import names and addresses from OE6 Paypal emails into Corel for address labels. It used to be near instant but it now seems to take forever with the processing bar sitting there thinking for as long as 30 seconds before my text appears. I have tried all the different import setting with and without font/formatting/cmyk black but it still takes what appears to be an eternity to perform a very basic function. Is this a gremlin in X3 or do I need to update my 516 ram to run it properly? All previous version have run happily on it but I have expereinced slowing down of a number of basic operations since installing X3 so maybe ram is my problem with all of the extra functional power built into it.
    Any insights greatfully appreciated. Thanx.
    George
    IP

Default Re: Is it a bug or simply not enough ram for X3?

CorelDRAW X3 is slow on a number of issues, it could be that mail merge is a problem as I rarely use this function, I have not a clue if it is slow or fast.

You could try a script that I've used and works well but it is also with numbering, not sure if it is applicable:

http://www.unleash.com/jeffh/numbering/index.asp

Additionally, it also may be from what source you are importing your list, there was an embedding issue that halted DRAW with Word files which is resolved in X3, doesn't mean DRAW doesn't have a bug in that.

Be sure your X3 is up to date with the Service Packs at the Corel.com site. And your RAM is low, no matter, should be updated.

If you have still your previous version of DRAW and it works better to do that one thing, under time restraints, I'd use what works and fret about having to launch a second program later. You could also check any scripts that do the print merge function, I think there is one at Oberonplace.com. Scripts rather bypass the coding built into CorelDRAW and so if there is a bug, this avoids it, and you can use it by assigning either a keyboard shortcut or creating an icon to launch the script under the Options menu. If you need an icon, under Commands and macros, it allows you to pick from a list of icons, or you can design your own while in Options/Commands and then once assigned, drag it to you your desktop and onto a menu bar or it becomes its own, and be sure to click "ok". Scripts are very powerful ways of getting more out of DRAW. Oberonplace.com hosts a forum where if you need help with a script, they can better asssist you than I can.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Question: When was the last time you defragged your hard drive? That could be the problem.

You could have an infestation of spyware. To check, visit the trend micro site and do a system scan. To prevent further problems, I recommend the use of Pest Patrol and Spyware Sweeper.

Beyond that, you might have too many tasks running in the background. Turning some of these off will speed up your computer.

Regards,

SG
    IP

No actually, alot of people have had slow printing issues with X3, mostly the hot patch and Service Pack 1 helped alot. I have yet to do Service Pack 3 at work. But I have at home and it is running top notch.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP