Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Red face Re: An attempt at making flowers

Well, here is an updated version of my vase w/flowers. I flattened the bottom (maybe too much?) and did a few other little fixes. And yes, being a Virgo myself, I tend to get really nitpicky. But, what do you think? Better?

Sandra
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vase6.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	35142  

Default Re: An attempt at making flowers

The flowers are very nice indeed, remind me of one of my favorite painters, Henri Rousseau and his jungle paintings which contain flowers that look similar to your.
    Still think the vase looks a little flat, like a shape thats had a bevel put on it rather than a round object capable of holding water. The glaze is nice however and the subtle reflections of the flowers as well.
    Derek

Sansuebar, I think your flowers are fabulous! You have a great deal of talent! Welcome to TalkGraphics (and Xara).
    Two possibly helpful hints:
    1. The bottom of the vase should be curved, perhaps even more than I have shown here.
    2. The lighting in the upper left corner is making it look like a page curl.

Keep up the great work! Looking forward to seeing a LOT MORE from you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_Image1 USE for Xara posts.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	35143  
    -=Bob=-

Talking Re: An attempt at making flowers

Bob, that looks great! Thank you so much for the suggestions and also for the praises. Sometimes I question whether I'm any good at this, but then I get a nice comment and it makes me try even harder. I quess it's not that bad for a housewife wanna-be artist
    Sandra

Quote Originally Posted by -=Drifter=- View Post
    Sansuebar,

Keep up the great work! Looking forward to seeing a LOT MORE from you!
    me too - I really do like those flowers
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I love the whites of the flowers. Very subtle. It is hard to pull back so that you have just enough detail and shading and not over do it.

Great job!

Gary

Talking Re: An attempt at making flowers

Mr. Priester,
    I started doing your tutorials on the Xaraxone years ago. I try to do every single one! I have to say, everything I've learned in Xara was by doing those tutorials. I used to work for a local church where I did all of their publication work and graphics. I talked the church into purchasing Xara for me and it was indespensible in helping me draw artwork for posters, flyers, newsletters and many other things. The children's department one time was doing an activity for the kids called "Passport to Adventure". I used Xara to make passports for all the kids, even including their pictures. They turned out so real looking that the pastor was afraid we'd get a call from the Feds!
    Anyway, thanks again for providing all the tutorials and for the nice comment regarding my picture. It means alot to me coming from you.
    Sincerely,
    Sandra

Nice drawing, one of my first drawings was a pitcher with flowers painted on it. That has been nine years.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode