Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Update and news from Charles Moir

Thanks, Tarabaz. Im not alone.
    Regards, Dmitry.
    Useful utils for Xara: http://xaraxtv.at.tut.by
    IP

As I said before, SVG is not the best vector graphics format, but in the year 2007, SVG support under Linux is necessary. For example for users who wants to create vector graphics for their Application or their Desktop.

Some examples of SVG integration into new KDE 4 applications:

KDE's icon engine is able to show vector graphic icons (in SVG format) and KDE is also able to show Wallpapers in vector format (also in SVG format, since KDE 3.4 from March, 2005). Examples:

I'm not sure, if the Linux community is also willing to include other vector formats like .XAR or .SWF into their Desktop Environment... (never say never, but I don't believe in that).

Regards,
    Remi
    IP

hi,

how many people create icons for kde? take a look at kde-look. ok, you can create a exporter for this 20 people

a designer, don't want to create his/her wallpapers for use with kde only, wallpapers in png or jpg format, works on every plattform.

i think, we can continue to talking about what developers can do, if active developers are here.

tarabaz
    IP

As someone who isn't familiar with the details of either XAR or SVG formats, I'm curious what makes SVG so offensive? Pointing to the minimal browser support seems like something of a straw man argument given that browser support for XAR is exactly 0. Similarly, I don't know of any print shops that I can send a XAR file to.

There must be some advantages to using a format that is based on widely used standards with lots of existing tools? For example, I just needed to change some object properties in a bunch of SVG files. Starting with no knowledge of SVG at all I was able to put together a Python script that made the changes I needed within a couple of hours. Could I have done this with XAR? I don't know but I suspect not.

Best,
    Jed
    IP

Yes, I must confirm - you are right.

We are suffering here
    Regards, Dmitry.
    IP

I am legitimately curious why XAR is better.

Like I said, I'm not familiar with either format, however, I could probably guess at some reasons why XAR might be preferred. On the other hand, saying that SVG is a "stillborn child" seems a bit overly dramatic.

Best,
    Jed
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by jedfrechette View Post
    On the other hand, saying that SVG is a "stillborn child" seems a bit overly dramatic.
    I agree with you. The standardization of SVG is a fact - if you like it or not - and more users knows SVG than XAR.

To address your further questions about XAR:
    "The Xar file format, previously known as the Flare file format, is an ultra-compact, open, vector graphic format. It is also the native graphics format for Xara X application (and also its predecessors such as CorelXARA).
    This document describes the format in detail and provides information for third parties interested in converting to or from this graphics format.

Why another vector graphics format? The Xar file format is not new. It dates back nearly ten years and so it predates more recent formats such as SVG. It is not designed to compete with SVG, but Xar files are considerably simpler to understand (the SVG spec is 700 pages) and more compact (often one tenth the size). However the primary reason for the existence of the open file format specification is to enable third parties to read and write the Xara X native files.

Background

The Xar vector graphic structure is that of modern vector programs, based on the Adobe Postscript rendering model, but with additional features. The graphic primitives are broadly similar to those available in Postscript, PDF and SVG. However Xara X, and thus the .xar file format, support more advanced graphic primitives and effects, for example a greater range of graduated fill types, graduated transparency, feathered vector shapes (soft edges), soft shadows and more. These enable the talented artist to create highly realistic and more ‘painterly’ effects with Xara X than is possible with traditional vector graphics solutions. See http://www.xara.com/gallery/

The format is designed so that rendering can be started before the entire file is available. The format is extendible, with a degree of forwards and backwards compatibility (this means older version of the software can still read files produced by newer version of the authoring software – they simply ignore the objects or parts they do not understand).

Part of the reason for this compactness is that Xar files are binary, rather than plain text as is SVG (which is XML). But with the recent movement towards a binary XML format, in order to overcome the verbose nature of XML (and SVG), it seems things might come full circle. On the other hand Xara X offers a plain text variant of the .xar file (file extension .wix) which can help in understanding the structure of .xar files."

source: Xar file format specification

Regards,
    Remi
    IP

Just to add a little more background about the Flare file format. There was a plugin available for web browsers. It has not been updated in several years because the .swf format was promoted and adopted as part of the "Industry Standard".

Now some people question that standard and are promoting SVG.

It is a never ending cycle.

When or if SVG becomes the popular standard someone will design a 'new' format that will be championed until it either becomes the standard or dies trying.

Then it will begain again. Life is a circle
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post

It is a never ending cycle.

Maybe better: it is a circular process where people repeatedly steps on the same rake.
    Regards, Dmitry.
    IP

Dmitry that is a very good analogy.........also a bit of "slapstick" humour
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP