hi,

One of the lessons learned from this project is: Never ever publish your source code under an open license, if you need this code for earning money.
i don't think so. i think, the community respect that xara don't want a fork and that xara dont want a windows version from the open xara projekt. but this offers two problems:

the community don't want to work on a open source project, than't they can't port to the os that most people in the world use. i understand xara in this point, but i understand the community too.

if the community integrate a alternative open renderer into xara, no one can control it, if someone want to compile a version for windows. xara and the development community can't control this. the community know this fact and don't want to open this way, cause they respect the fact, that the code was spend from xara.

i know that a lot of developers like this software, but xara was starting with this project, without know how about, how a community project can work.

i think, it's possible that the great workflow from the gui will be adapted to another project. but that have nothing to do with the source code.

i hope, that xara and the community find a way to make xara a great open source project, but both sides have to find a way, that make this a good partnership for both sides.

their are many kinds of limitation, that a community can respect. take a look at the openoffice project. for example:

openoffice don't include a clipart gallery. their are a lot of artists in the world, ready to create this kind of free content for a project like this (take a look at the open clipart library). their is a seperate colection aviable for import the gallery, in low resulution png quality. but all this pictures are aviable as svg. their is also a seperate svg importer aviable for openoffice, but its not integrated in this great software, and this importer can not be handled to import the svg clipartls like a intern clipart library. so people they want to have this software with cliparts (and other stuff) have to buy staroffice. the community respect this wish from sun, and it works for both sides.

regards,

tarabaz