I think Charles Moir is a bit mistaken on some of the assumptions he makes.

While many Linux users do use some closed commercial software. It is largely restricted to that of which there is no open alternatives. Given the choice between open and proprietary software, Linux users will undoubtedly choose the open software. In other words, the majority of the OSS community, users and developers, view using free but proprietary software like Flash and various hardware drivers as a necessary evil UNTIL an open alternative is available. Installing Flash would not even be a consideration if it wasn't so pervasive on the web and quite frankly Xtreme is not in the same position Adobe is. We NEED Flash to view many sites on the web and we NEED drivers to get full functionality out of hardware. We do not NEED Xtreme, there are other alternatives.

I've said this before and I will say it again. The problem Xtreme for Linux is currently facing is not that there is a lack of willing developers to help with projects like this. The problem is that developers are hesitant to devote their time and effort to a project whose future is uncertain. As of yet we have not been given a reason to believe that this isn't a dead or dieing project.

It's clear that priority has been placed behind the commercial Windows version of this software, which is fine. But don't expect Linux/Mac developers to come in droves to donate their time and skills to a project that could be dropped at any time, especially when more open and more rapidly advancing alternatives exist.

The best thing that could be done to increase the market for Xtreme on Linux is to open it up COMPLETELY and let it grow as it may, or to produce a FULLY capable commercial version and sell and support it for those of us that would purchase it.