Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Photoshop opening multiple images...

Hey Guys!

I've got myself a wee little pickle here and HOPEFULLY someone can shed some light. I've got a customer that ive just sold a brand spanking new system to thats having a little trouble with Photoshop.

On her previous system, she was able to plug her camera into her system, and paste in about 100 or so photos straight into photoshop direct. As all those images were loading up in Photoshop, she used to click on them and go through/edit them to save time, as sometimes it may take a while to load all 100+ images.

The problem is, with this new system shes NOT able to check/edit the images out WHILE they are loading. She needs to wait untill all images are loaded before she can check them. The actual specs on the system shouldnt matter as CPU & RAM have both been upgraded greatly.

My question! Is there a setting within Photoshop that would somehow make Photoshop preload images before your able to edit them? Or something similar to that? Im totally clueless with this one

ANY help would be appreciated!

Thanks
    IP

Default Re: Photoshop opening multiple images...

What this person was doing is bad practice, she should load to a named file first from the camera memory card onto the hard drive then as the images load up she can then delete or edit them without things slowing down too much.
    Photoshop can handle 2gigs of memory but loading 100 images into the program is asking for trouble. I use Photoshop CS2 and as my files are loading into the new file I have made for them I open the bridge [the bridge is the file browser for CS2 ] and edit them from there.
    IP

It's always better to store the files to your hard drive first, still safer than keeping them on the unreliable flash drive. The next step before editing would be to duplicate these files to a different folder, which only takes a few seconds. One should always avoid working on the original files!

Not doing this is in my view just a matter of impatience and will likely over time lead to disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by sexypaladin View Post
    The actual specs on the system shouldnt matter as CPU & RAM have both been upgraded greatly.
    Don’t underestimate 100+ photos. Images of modern cameras will use close to 25MB of memory (depending on the model) per image when loaded in Photoshop. 25x100=2 1/2 GB. Add another ½ GB for OS + Photoshop and you will need about 3GB.

As for waiting for the images to load; why would she wait? Take me for example, I’m a system administrator. I’ve installed programs, operating systems, even did upgrades of mainframes that in some cases took many hours. I never just sat there picking my nose, instead I would be doing something else.
    It’s the same with booting the computer at home in the morning; most people turn it on, go to the bathroom and when they come back it’s ready to go. It’s all about time management.
    IP

Cool Re: Photoshop opening multiple images...

Quote Originally Posted by sexypaladin View Post

My question! Is there a setting within Photoshop that would somehow make Photoshop preload images before your able to edit them? Or something similar to that? Im totally clueless with this one

ANY help would be appreciated!

Thanks
    There is no such setting like that in Photoshop, the best thing to do that is just wait for a few minutes and might as well do other things while waiting. Of course if you'll be opening many images the first images can only be seen at the bottom and last will be at the top. So you can never edit images while your opening another images.
    IP

I can't see the point. Why not use a simpler way:
    While images being loaded to computer (for example, with a file manager), open destination folder with Bridge (or any other viewer) and get some of the loaded pics to Photoshop manually...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Doubrovs View Post
    I can't see the point. Why not use a simpler way
    I don't think it's simpler. It's also wrong to work on the originals (ask any professional photographer), it's just asking for disaster.
    IP