Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Threaded View

Default A great alternative to Xara Xtreme on Linux

It's very sad to see development for Xara Xtreme on Linux stagnate as it has... I really was hoping that Xtreme would have a promising future on Linux, but it's has become clear that Xara is not willing to put much effort into the open source version other than attempting to use it as a marketing tool, and there is little evidence that the company that just acquired Xara is committed to the open source version either. This is a shame because I really like Xara Xtreme and I would have gladly paid for full featured version on Linux that would export to SVG.

Thankfully, though, the newest version if Inkscape 0.45 was just released and the developers have added some awesome, much needed features like Gaussian Blur that allow Inkscape to compete in capability with Xtreme, all while being is truly open source and giving the SVG support most of us wanted from Xtreme. After testing the latest Inkscape out and recreating some of the stuff I have done in Xtreme, I'm very impressed and satisfied that there is now something better for Linux users to move on to.
    Last edited by jbus; 09 February 2007 at 04:39 AM.
    IP