Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrysalis

Default Chrysalis

Did not know what to call this drawing so chrysalis will need to do. This is a made up butterfly, but I was going to use the Monarch,the drawing was done using many blends and clipviews to constrain the blends. Was going to leave the caterpillar without any colour but it looked to bland. As usual crits are most welcome as I feel the drawing could be improved.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	butterfly.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	34801   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monarch_butterfly.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	34802  

Design is thinking made visual.

Default Re: Chrysalis

Yeah like the top section a lot.
    Love the colour combination.
    Only suggestion would be that you could mechanise the whole thing.
    That top section as metal or even glass.
    Like I said though, nice image.
    Peace

the upper one is terrific... great effect, great colors (if the body is a lil 'glowy')

the execution on the lower is its best aspect. good, crisp separation of parts. I might suggest more irregular lines in the rounded portions of the upper wings to match those of the lower, but a small matter.

altogether fine.

geo.

Thanks for the remarks. The lower drawing of the Monarch I rejected because of the lack of colour, I probably should not included the monarch at all in this thread but i included it to show that I thought about using it, if that makes sense.

I like the idea/concept.

If it were mine, I think the butterfly would be placed further away from the graph so that the bluey background could be effectively faded to white/clear and perhaps narrowed as it meets the graph.
    "Intbel" ... "Can't" is not an option.

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.

I have a few Monarch images if you need some for reference. Rich

Love it. Might be fun to add a middle step in the evolution by adding a cacoon between the butterfly and the larvae, Of course a cacoon is going to be bland by comparison to the before and after and as such may not add anything constructive to the image. Just food for thought.

You could increase the whole sense of movement and drama by having the caterpillar lifting itself from the page and becoming more 3D at one end while twisting into the blend between it and the butterfly. At the moment the transition between flat 2D caterpillar on a page to flying butterfly makes the image a little static though they are both well drawn.
    I agree about separating the other butterfly drawing as it confuses the issue.
    Derek

Had another work through the drawing to try and differentiate between caterpillar, pupa and butterfly. Don't know if it worked but I think it looks slightly better without colour at caterpillar and larger pupa stage. Please let me know what you think!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	butterfly2.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	34823  

I like the concept and the drawing.

I'm wondering though what kind of background would suit it? I can envision some modern art background with some out of focus items, but still recognizable that would stay within the same theme.