Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Flash Movies with a Trasparent Background that work in PowerPoint?

Ok, I'm still missing something. In PowerPoint, I insert a webpage using the webpage insertion utility, and set the URL to the location of an html file on my computer which is made using the html code that Xara gives for the flash animation previews. The result is that the flash animation plays in the html object in PowerPoint. However, I'm still missing something; I can’t get the background of the html object to be transparent.

I think what would be helpful would be if you could post all the files you used to create your .pps file, so that I can construct it myself using the components. This will help me identify what is different in my approach.

edit:
    I think after some further playing around that my expectations may be a bit high. I was expecting a solution where an object showing a swf (whether it be a SW flash object, or a html object loading a swf) would have a completely transparent background so that any other objects on the PowerPoint slide underneath would be visible. In other words, like having a transparent photo overlaid on top of another object, allowing the bottom object to be seen. Is this possible?
    Last edited by Xhris; 11 May 2007 at 05:03 AM.
    IP

Dear Xhris! I was glad this morning reading your two latest posts telling that you finally made a home run displaying my html in your PowerPoint Viewer after tweaking your PP Editor.

Your queries and requests.
    Q1: How to get the background transparent in the html?
    Q2: How to render a transparent .swf in html on top of other objects in PowerPoint?
    Q3: Can I have the files generating the html inserted in the .pps?

A1: First condition--The transparency mode is not supported in PowerPoint. Second condition--Inserting html with transparent mode .swf in PowerPoint is a work around and bypassing/overriding the PowerPoint transparency restriction. Transparency mode is coded in html object/embed parameters with "wmode=transparent". See source code in the html file. You have access to the html source directly from my .pps with the second page rendered. You rightclick on the yellow background not more and not less than 1 cm above the image and the SwfObject and select "show source" (do not rightclick on the image or on the SwfObject for the desired purpose!). Read in the source how the wmode parameters are written in two places (object and embed parameters).

A2: A html with .swf in transparent wmode is rendered on top of other objects in .pps. A html page can be body coded with transparent background (as for iFrames) but PowerPoint will not accept it. You simply insert the other objects in the html page instead of on the PowerPoint slide page background. Set the size of the html with css as a container with the SwfObject placed topmost to required size, also with css, in the html container. That is how my .pps sample with html page insertion is made. The html has a .jpg object and the text .swf rendered on top of it. You can, however, produce a html page with a SwfObject set to "exactFit" width and height, positioned with coordinates x=0px, y=0px, and reduce your html invisible page border to match the SwfObject exact size and move it to preferred placement on the PowerPont slide page. Doing that you will display a transparent mode .swf on top of other objects on the slide page.

A3: I will gladly hand over the requested files to you. There are two set of files. #1 The preload html files (which you do not need actually when loading a small amount of relatively low-weight files. It is the preload page you see initially when navigating to the second slide page in my .pps file. #2 When content is adequately loaded the preload page will redirect to the main html page, including the SwfObject, by script calling.

Rightclick on links below and select "Save Target As..." to download to you computer.

Preload html and content
    PreNewShow10.htm
    blue.gif
    red.gif

Main html and content
    NewShow10.htm
    newshow10.css
    groucho2.jpg
    iefix.js
    TxtNewShow10.swf

Comments to the files above:
    --The head "NewShow" in the .swf file is vector produced in XtremePro, saved to .wmf format and imported to Swish. The rest of the text and red underlining is produced and animated in Swish together with the imported .wmf file, and finally saved as .swf to a predetermined width and height.

--The remotely placed iefix.js is required to render a SwfObject eliminating the "dreaded gray box" in IE6+.

--The stylesheet css is optimized for IE6+ and will not position objects correctly in Firefox (unfortunate for Firefox lovers!).

--Html pages and their content may be server-side located for on-line viewing and presentations, or placed client-side locally together with your .pps file for off-line auditorial in-house presentations.

--I produce html pages in Notepad exclusively and never use conventional webpage editors.

Enjoy experimenting! If anything unclear in the above, please don't hesitate to holler!

Cheers, Anders
    Last edited by Anders 205; 11 May 2007 at 01:48 PM.
    IP

Hi Anders. Thanks again for the detailed reply. Last night I did what you recommend in A1-A2. I realised that while this allows a transparent flash object over a bitmap say, like in your demonstration, it's no different in practice (visual result) to just having the bitmap included in the flash file itself. What I was after was a flash-showing object that was flexible and transparent and could be used in conjunction (overlaid) with other all the other PowerPoint features. This isn't possible and appears to be a limitation of PowerPoint. I've realised that searching for workarounds to this by focusing on transparent swfs using a HTML object was a red herring. In other words, putting all objects in a HTML object on the slide isn't a work around, because that HTML object is itself not transparent and thus cannot be used in conjunction with underlying objects etc. in PowerPoint. This is a shame, but in terms of design, can be worked around to an extent to provide only minor limitations in what I would like to do in PP. One good thing I learned though is how to insert a webpage into a PP presentation.
    IP

Hi Xhris! As you rightfully conclude, unsupported transparency mode in PowerPoint is a significant limitation to all the other features offered with the application. A html page may have a complete Flash page buildup in transparency wmode, or static elements plus one, and more, SwfObjects stacked in a html markup, to be inserted as a PP slide page. A html body background is, however, always opaque as browser standard (default color: white) and cannot be made transparent with neither chroma filters, alpha opacity filters nor when inserted in an iFrame with a background set for transparency allowance. A resizable html page including a transparency mode SwfObject can sit on top of, or partially covering, bitmaps or other static objects which are inserted in a PP slide page, but the html body background cannot be made transparent. Not for the unsupported transparency in PP, but because of OP and browser standard restricting it.

Good luck with html insertions in PowerPoint. Perhaps something radically new may evolve from your work!

Cheers, Anders
    IP

Well, it's not a big deal really. I still produced a really (relatively) visually stunning presentation recently. Thanks for all your input.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Anders 205 View Post
    Nothing at all, John! I feel it to be an obligation to dig into the subject when my suggestion was failing to comply, mislead by the transparency window mode parameter option present and readily available for SWF objects in PowerPoint. Imagine all flashers' (oops!) confusion in their PowerPoint deployments, well aware that *.png alpha channel and *.gif transparenices being flawlessly supported. I am not prepared to give it up, quite yet. I intend to try with scripted HTML off-line solutions, alternatively with iframe coding.

I have not had the priviledge to, so far, personally meet with Shyam Pillai, the MS MVP with renowned expertise in PowerPoint, Excel, Word, and more, applications. You are familiar with his plug-ins, actually called add-ins in the PowerPoint environment, but perhaps other PowerPoint fans would like to make themselves acquainted with them at PowerPoint add-ins. His Flashback Rewind add-in is a must-have!

Thank you for bringing up the subject, John. Have a good day!

Cheers, Anders
    Hello Xhris -
    Did you everstreamline the coding for exclusive PowerPoint for a transparent SWF objetcs to play in PowerPoint without the HTML workaround?
    IP

I don't think anyone ever got true transparent swfs working in powerpoint; PP just doesn't support it. I make use of multi-level Flash animations if necessary to have one flash animation play over and independently of another (these are outlined in my Flash tutorial on my website (link in my signature)). Hopefully PP will allow transparent flash animations like html in the future.
    Last edited by Xhris; 03 September 2009 at 07:39 PM.
    IP

Flash Movies with a Trasparent Background that work in PowerPoint? Did you ever find a solution?
    IP

Thanks. I'll check it out.
    IP