Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Flash in PowerPoint?

Is there a way to include a Flash movie in PowerPoint?
    Charlie
    IP

Thumbs up Re: Flash in PowerPoint?

PowerPoint and Flash - 2

Inserting Flash Within PowerPoint
    Code:
    First Things First
    Always Two Ways
    Prerequisites
    Doing It Yourself
    Rewinding Problems
    Fullscreen Flash

Continued on Page 2...

First Things First

This page contains a description of how to insert and run Macromedia Flash SWF animations in Microsoft PowerPoint.

To learn the basics of using Flash within PowerPoint and more information on ActiveX, look here:

PowerPoint And Flash

While the page linked above tries to explain the technology behind the scenes, this page contains information of a more practical nature including a step-by-step procedure to insert Flash SWF content within PowerPoint.

Back

Always Two Ways

There are two ways of including Flash into PowerPoint. You can either insert the file as an ActiveX control, using PowerPoint's Control Toolbox, or you can insert it as an object, which calls the Flash Player to play the file.

The first procedure is time-tested and certain - both free and commercial add-ins are available for PowerPoint which reduce the complicated procedure to just a few clicks.

The latter procedure is a little different - we'll discuss it in the next page...

Back

Prerequisites

Whichever procedure you employ to insert SWF movies within PowerPoint, you'll need to have the following installed:

* Any version of PowerPoint for Windows (97, 2000 or 2002)
        * Internet Explorer
        * Shockwave Flash ActiveX control

The Shockwave Flash ActiveX control can be auto-installed at:

www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?
    P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

If you need to view more options, visit:

http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/
    download/alternates/
    More Info:

Code:
    http://www.indezine.com/products/powerpoint/ppflash3.html
    EDITED BY EGG TO REMOVE THE NEED FOR HORIZONTAL SCROLLING:

First Things First
    Always Two Ways
    Prerequisites
    Doing It Yourself
    Rewinding Problems
    Fullscreen Flash
    Continued on Page 2... First Things First This page contains a description of how to insert and run Macromedia Flash SWF animations in Microsoft PowerPoint.

To learn the basics of using Flash within PowerPoint and more information on ActiveX, look here: PowerPoint And Flash

While the page linked above tries to explain the technology behind the scenes, this page contains information of a more practical nature including a step-by-step procedure to insert Flash SWF content within PowerPoint.

Always Two Ways There are two ways of including Flash into PowerPoint.
    You can either insert the file as an ActiveX control, using PowerPoint's Control Toolbox, or you can insert it as an object, which calls the Flash Player to play the file.

The first procedure is time-tested and certain - both free and commercial add-ins are available for PowerPoint which reduce the complicated procedure to just a few clicks.

The latter procedure is a little different - we'll discuss it in the next page...

Prerequisites Whichever procedure you employ to insert SWF movies within PowerPoint, you'll need to have the following installed:
    * Any version of PowerPoint for Windows (97, 2000 or 2002)
    * Internet Explorer
    * Shockwave Flash ActiveX control
    The Shockwave Flash ActiveX control can be auto-installed at: www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi? P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash
    If you need to view more options, visit: http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/ download/alternates/
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 01 February 2007 at 03:46 AM.
    IP

Default Re: Flash in PowerPoint?

FTHIS TEXT FROM: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/po...CL100626991033
    FIf you have an animated graphic that was created with Macromedia Flash® and saved as a Shockwave® file (.swf file extension), you should be able to play it in a PowerPoint presentation using a specific ActiveX control and the Macromedia Flash Player. To run the Flash file, you add an ActiveX control to the PowerPoint slide and create a link from it to the Flash file. You also have the option of embedding the file in the presentation.
    FImportant
    FThe ActiveX control, called Shockwave Flash Object, must be "registered" on your computer for you to play the Flash file within PowerPoint. If it is registered, it will appear in the list of controls opened from the Control Toolbox (detailed in the steps below). If it is not registered, download the latest version of the Macromedia Flash Player from the Macromedia Web site; this will register the control on your computer.
    FOlder versions of the Shockwave Flash Object may be registered on your computer. To guarantee that complex animations run properly, we recommend that you install the latest version of the Macromedia Flash Player.
    FTo play a Flash file in your presentation, follow these steps:
    FInstall the Macromedia Flash Player on your computer.
    FIn normal view in PowerPoint, display the slide on which you want to play the animation.
    FOn the View menu, point to Toolbars, and then click Control Toolbox.
    FIn the ControlToolbox, click More Controls (the button with the hammer and wrench icon).
    FIn the list, scroll down and click Shockwave Flash Object, then drag on the slide to draw the control. You can resize the control at any point by dragging the sizing handles if you need to adjust it to the size of the animation.
    FRight-click the Shockwave Flash Object, and then click Properties.
    FOn the Alphabetic tab, click the Movie property.
    FIn the value column (the blank cell next to Movie), type the full drive path including the file name (for example, C\:My Documents\MyFile.swf) or Uniform Resource Locator (URL) to the Flash file that you want to play.
    FTo set specific options for how the animation plays, do the following, and when you're done, close the Properties dialog box:
    «Make sure the Playing property is set to True. This plays the file automatically when the slide is displayed. If the Flash file has a Start/Rewind control built into it, the Playing setting can be set to False.
    «If you don't want the animation to play repeatedly, in the Loop property, select False (click the cell to get a down arrow, click the arrow, and select False).
    «To embed the Flash file so you can pass this presentation on to others, in the EmbedMovie property, click True. (In order for the Flash file to run, however, the Shockwave Flash Object control must be registered on any computer that runs this presentation.)
    FTo run the animation: With the slide displayed in normal view, click the Slide Show button in the lower left of the PowerPoint window (or press F5, or, on the Slide Show menu, click View Show).
    FTo exit the slide show and return to normal view, press ESC.

IP

Wow! Glad it's so simple.
    IP

Microsoft makes everything "simple." I have nearly fifty years of programming experience, but after reading the instructions I think I'm going to fuh-get-about-it.
    Charlie
    IP

Charlie, it's really not all that bad. The first time you try it, it may seem a little clumsy, but some of these features can be set as defaults, so really only a few steps need to be taken.

I think you will find that it is really worth the effort to get to know how to do this, since I have found that a little Flash in a presentation can be a real attention-getter.
    ---
    Will
    IP

Okay, Will. I'll try it over the weekend.
    Charlie
    IP

Charlie, here is a short (2-page) PowerPoint file. All the graphics for the template were done entirely in XaraXtreme Pro, including the Flash file on page 2.

My early Valentine card for Xara...

OOPS...PPS is not a valid format for upload. I zipped the file, including the XAR for the animation
    ---Will
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by WolfMoonHP; 02 February 2007 at 06:57 PM.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMoonHP View Post
    Charlie, it's really not all that bad. The first time you try it, it may seem a little clumsy, but some of these features can be set as defaults, so really only a few steps need to be taken.

I think you will find that it is really worth the effort to get to know how to do this, since I have found that a little Flash in a presentation can be a real attention-getter.
    ---
    Will
    Hey Will! It took me about a dozen attempts but it finally worked! And I'm glad to know how to do it. Although I don't have an immediate need for the capability, I'm sure I will have. I use PowerPoint in the class I teach.
    Charlie
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by cbutton69 View Post
    Hey Will! It took me about a dozen attempts but it finally worked! And I'm glad to know how to do it. Although I don't have an immediate need for the capability, I'm sure I will have. I use PowerPoint in the class I teach.
    Charlie, I know what you mean. But be careful...you might get hooked

I did one presentation, on a very dry subject (application of new building codes to existing buildings), and at one point I had Flash on almost all the 82 slides. I even had small animations used as bullets...

After I showed it to a friend before finalizing it, he just raised an eyebrow and said "Is overkill spelled with a hyphen?"

I trimmed down a lot of the animations, making it not so busy...

But the Flash really did add a lot to the overall presentation.
    ---
    Will
    IP