Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default turning white areas transparent

When I had painter 6 and I had a black and white picture and I wanted to make the white bits perminantly transparent on the layer( so I could just have the black bits)
    I used to be able to click on the mask layer then go into the mask section and select ; automask ; then image luminance and it would turn the white bits clear. (although the black was washed out but I got round that by sellecting reserve transparency and filling it with black to bring it back)

Now with painter 9 the mwthods have changed. I've been searching for hours to find how to do it. There is thing called shadow map which makes the white transparent but its not perminant.

can anyone help me?
    IP

Default Re: turning white areas transparent

Quote Originally Posted by quangle View Post
    When I had painter 6 and I had a black and white picture and I wanted to make the white bits perminantly transparent on the layer( so I could just have the black bits)
    I used to be able to click on the mask layer then go into the mask section and select ; automask ; then image luminance and it would turn the white bits clear. (although the black was washed out but I got round that by sellecting reserve transparency and filling it with black to bring it back)

Now with painter 9 the mwthods have changed. I've been searching for hours to find how to do it. There is thing called shadow map which makes the white transparent but its not perminant.

can anyone help me?
    Hi,

If the Layer has a white background and black line work, or other black painting, do the following:

1. In the Layers palette, highlight the appropriate Layer.

2. Use Select > Auto Select, Using: Image Luminance and check the Invert box, then click the OK button. Now the white background is selected.

3. Use Ctrl/Command+X to clear the white background (delete it). Now you should have only the black line work or other black painting on the Layer and the rest is transparent.

Another method you might use is:

1. Use the Dropper tool to pick the background color.

2. Use Select > Auto Select, Using: Current Color, then click the OK button. Now the white background is selected.

3. Use Ctrl/Command+X to clear the white background (delete it). Now you should have only the painted area of the Layer remaining and the rest is transparent.

Cheers!
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Thanks for getting back to me

It was actually a different method I was after. I'm aware I can select the white area and delete it, but that leaves a pixelly, blocky edge.
    When I had painter 6, I had a way of making the white totally transparent.
    I just selected the mask in the mask pallet and then auto mask and then I selected image luminance. It was washed out, but brought back when I did a fill selecting reserve transparency. No detail was lost.

This method was essential for my work.
    Surely there must be a way in painter 9
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by quangle View Post
    Thanks for getting back to me

It was actually a different method I was after. I'm aware I can select the white area and delete it, but that leaves a pixelly, blocky edge.
    When I had painter 6, I had a way of making the white totally transparent.
    I just selected the mask in the mask pallet and then auto mask and then I selected image luminance. It was washed out, but brought back when I did a fill selecting reserve transparency. No detail was lost.

This method was essential for my work.
    Surely there must be a way in painter 9
    Shadow Map is one of the Layer Composite Methods (also available in Painter 6) and has nothing to do with masking (as you observed).

The methods I explained previously both result in a completely transparent Layer background with only black art on the Layer. To fix the pixelated black art problem, all you need to do is load the selection, feather the selection, then fill the selection with black. I'll explain in more detail below.

NOTE:

The Channels palette is today's Painter version of the Masks section in Painter 6. It's different, and better in several ways once you learn how Layers and Alpha Channels work in Painter IX (IX 9.1 and IX.5) and get used to them.

There are several ways to accomplish what you describe as your desired end result. If I understand it, what you want is a Layer with black line art (or black art of some kind), with a completely transparent background, and no pixelation around the black art. You don't need to use a mask to accomplish this, but you can if you want.

Here's how I'd do it because it's quick and easy and gives me a lot of freedom to continue working however I want:

1. With the Canvas highlighted in the Layers palette, use Ctrl/Command+A to select the entire Canvas.

2. Hold down the Alt/Option key and click inside the selection with the Layer Adjuster tool to lift a duplicate of the black and white art to a Layer. (Later, the original Canvas imagery can be deleted if you don't need it anymore.)

3. With the Layer highlighted in the Layers palette, use Select > Auto Select, Using: Image Luminance to select the black art.

4. Use Ctrl/Command+Shift+I to invert the selection.

5. Use Ctrl/Command+X to delete the white background.

6. With the Layer highlighted in the Layers palette, right-click and from the contextual menu, choose Select Layer Transparency.

7. Use Select > Feather and type the number of pixels you want, to make the edges anti-aliased.

8. With black the Main Color, use Ctrl/Command+F to fill the selection.

9. If you want to have this selection available as an Alpha Channel, use Select > Save Selection and give it a name or accept the default name (Alpha 1 or the next available number).

10. Look in the Channels palette and you'll see a new Alpha Channel has been added.

11. When you need to load the selection again, do one of the following:
    • Right-click the Layer and choose Select Layer Transparency
    • In the Select menu, choose Load Selection, then choose the appropriate Alpha Channel from the Load from: drop down list.
    • At the bottom of the Channels palette, click the Load Channel as Selection icon (first icon on the left), then choose the appropriate Alpha Channel from the Load from: drop down list.

12. If you want to edit the Alpha Channel, you can paint on it with black to add transparency or paint on it with white to remove transparency.

Unless your desired end result is not what I understood it to be, that should do the trick and allow you a lot of freedom to choose what works best for you and to do other things as well (i.e. editing the Alpha Channel).
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Unhappy Re: turning white areas transparent

Many thanks once again for getting back to me.
    Unfortunately what you suggested is something I am already aware of however doesn't achieve the result. What I used to be able to do was scan in a piece of paper with dirty marks on it. Then save as a jpeg and copy/paste it into my painter document.
    So I have a white background with dirty marks on it and I needto be able to use those dirty marks to superimpose them on a painted back ground. ( so I can have a painting with dirty marks on it to look old.)

I then drop the layer then lasso around the area and use my selection tool (click F) and click in the selection. Next I would click on the corresponding mask and (this is where the difference is) I would go in to the mask pallet and select automask then image luminance then it would be done.

I could then select reserve transarency and fill with any colour I want.

Now you mentioned shadow map. That appears to turn the white transparent but as soon as you reserve transarency and fill, it just fills the whole area.

If you have painter 6 or 7, please try it and you will see.

Thanks Q
    IP

I think I know what you mean.
    I have a one-click filter effect, originally for photoshop, but it works with my painter ix5 so maybe with your version too.
    Attached is screen shot of the layer before after and with fills.
    Canvas has been hidden.
    Is this what you need? - if so I'll dig a copy out for you, its free and in the public domain.
    Works with xara too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fileA.gif 
Views:	2077 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	34912  
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Handrawn, could you email me that filter? My email is beverlythumme@hotmail.com

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
    Bev.
    IP

Bev - welcome to Talk Graphics!

The filter that you want can be downloaded from:
    http://www.photoshop-filters.com/html/macks.htm
    Filter2 - remove white is the one you want - unzip and place in painter/xara plugin folders as normal [with program closed]
    any problems let me know

-------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Thanks for the welcome and the link! I am trying to draw a children's book via my computer, I like being able to do a digital "watercolor and ink" type image. It takes the messiness out of ink and watercolor....although both mediums are just as fun by hand on paper as on digital paper.

Thanks again!
    Bev.
    IP

Hello, I just switch to a mac and I must say I love it. I'm using coral paints latest version and want to make the canvas transparent when I save my work. I need to be able to take my work and apply it to iweb for the church's youth group. Tried to follow your sequence here however I'm new to the paint program as well. I can not help but think there is a simple method to lift your work off the canvas and onto a clear background.

Any Help is greatly appreciated.
    IP