Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: My usual steps in drawing cartoons - (YouTube video)

Really great, Bob.
    It all looks so easy when you do that drawing. I can do this too ... in my mind... but my hands won't do the same. But serious: very interesting and helpful. Thanks a lot.
    Have your fun NOW. Maybe tomorrow it's too late...
    Tom

..: Better natural stupidity than artificial intelligence! :..

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

Thank you, Bob, you make it look so easy.

Oh my, oh my...
    1. Your voice is very soothing. If you ever get tired of drawing (yeah right) I suggest you become a psychiatrist or psychologist.
    2. That video was excellent! You covered so many facets in such a little bit of time. Thank you for that education.
    -=Bob=-

Quote Originally Posted by rpc9943 View Post
    edit: one thing- i noticed you planned on having a shiny part on the dogs nose, how exactly would you have implemented that in your workflow? (things like this is what mess me up) - since it'd be a white object, how exactly woudl you have traced it from your sketch and above his nose? This is prob a very silly question but where in your workflow on the film would you have inserted this?

one more q... would you do the same thing if this were b/w image? i recall your webstrip you made was black and white, would you recommend putting "white" fills as you did color fills on this drawing?

RonC
    Well, I'm glad to hear that people do find this useful This first clip was pretty much a sped up version from start to - a somewhat finished drawing. I will work on making a series of clips showing start to finish on one graphic. I can also make one showing how I setup a comic strip.

The rough sketch is pretty much used for the line work in the finished drawing. Once the line work is done, the sketch is no longer needed. The colouring effects are added in no particular order. Once I have the main shapes in place, I just go around and add highlights and shading techniques through out the drawing.

I'm just thinking on how I should make future clips. If I do a drawing from start to finish - when colouring, I think I will focus on sections at a time. Having a clip for eyes, a clip for the mouth and so on. Instead of having all in one clip.
    •Bob

Quote Originally Posted by -=Drifter=- View Post
    Oh my, oh my...
    1. Your voice is very soothing. If you ever get tired of drawing (yeah right) I suggest you become a psychiatrist or psychologist.
    Is that good? I didn't put you to sleep did I?
    •Bob

Really terrific video, Bob! I learned a lot! It was ineresting how you did the color on the same layer as the line drawing. I usually put color on a separate layer and if there are elements that need to go behind or in front I move it to the appropriate layer. Also, instead of hitting Escape to finish a line before starting a new line, I usually tap my stylus someplace where there isn't anything.

I will be anxiously awaiting your next installments! Thanks so much for sharing. By the way, how do you do make the video?

Nice work Bob. I've honestly never tried sketching in Xara. It just never struck me as a good way to go about things, but after seeing your video I'll have to give it a go. Being able to play with the size and placement of features without having to redraw looks like a nice aspect of the technique.

Thanks for taking the time to put the video together.

J

This is way cool, Bob. I watched it twice, then saved it in my Favorite Places for future reference.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to do this for everyone!
    ---
    Will

nice one, great video

Wow that is great Bob,
    I still have an old book about making animated cartoons
    and I see that the eyelines etc are really used to make
    the drawings.
    Butin a movie it all becomes a lot clearer how to do it.
    Never thought about first sketching with a tablet.

Great clear step tutorial, thanks for it.
    be aware, not to become a ware.