Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Text to line

Default Text to line

Hello,

The problem is that I'm trying to duplicate a logo. I have it in vector format now and have attached it here as logo.xar. The problem is that the text is not the same as the logo that was approved. The correct logo can be seen in the top right photo of the entrance to the golf course at:

http://www.catharina.ca/wildwinds/
    (website still under construction)
    I want to create a flash navigation in the top banner but I digress...

As you can see, the text to line in the logo (WILDWINDS) is different than the vector logo provided in logo.xar. I've tried to figure out how to get the text to stand up straight but can't see how to do this. I've attached my attempt to do so with wildwinds_text_to_line.xar here.

The banner where this is needed is located at:
    http://www.catharina.ca/wildwinds/banner/
    (click on low-rez image for detailed jpeg image)
    The logo appears at the bottom of this banner in detail but the text in the logo needs to be corrected.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Cat =^..^=
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by catharina; 17 January 2007 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Added info for banner

Default Re: Text to line

My guess is that the text was enveloped and not set on a line.

This looks like the kind of envelope you could create in CorelDRAW. Not sure if you could do it in Xara unless you create 2 envelopes, one for the left half and one for the right half.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by catharina View Post
    the text to line in the logo (WILDWINDS) is different than the vector logo provided in logo.xar. I've tried to figure out how to get the text to stand up straight
    The Xtreme Pro Mould Tool (Shift+F6) will do the job for you as required, Catharina! Use the Default envelope (the first rectangle of tools collection) on selected (new WILDWINDS) text and do the modifying.

Have fun!

Cheers, Anders
    Last edited by Anders 205; 17 January 2007 at 02:46 PM.

This works, p.o.p. :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skew_txt.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	34233  
    "Intbel" ... "Can't" is not an option.

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.

Good job Raymond!
    ron

I also think that Raymond is demonstrating an elegant solution. The Mould tool works as well, as hinted by Gary, but for the reason that the actual word contains an odd number of letters I would suggest working with three parts/envelopes on that text.

Cheers, Anders

Name:	wildwinds.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	4.7 KB 
ID:	34237  

Hi Catharina,

Perhaps you can use this .xar file attached to play with in your logo project.

Cheers, Anders

Name:	wildwinds2.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	34278  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Anders 205; 18 January 2007 at 08:53 AM.

Illustrating the differences between skewing and moulding of elements. Xara Envelope moulding add the features making the element, in this case text, perceptibly following curved lines in letter upright position.

http://web.telia.com/~u24710494/skewvsmould.jpg

FWIW.
    Anders
    Last edited by Anders 205; 18 January 2007 at 11:15 AM.

Thumbs up Re: Text to line

You guys are totally awesome. Thanks very much and the banner is ready for print, I think.

http://www.catharina.ca/wildwinds/banner/

Print has never been my strong point. I'm better with the web graphics.

I've attached a gif of the playing that I did in Corel 9. (the last version that I have) Is there a wish list somwhere that would let us do more with fit text to path? Corel has a few options that I can't find in Xara but Corel is SUCH a pig compaired to Xara! It took me SO long to do this even on my new laptop!

Again, thanks so much for your help!

Cat =^..^=

Name:	wildwinds_corel.gif 
Views:	189 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	34282  

Hi Cat! I'm glad to read that you felt supported in your endeavours. Corel and Freehand do text distortion/moulding very well indeed, but I am prepared to say, by experience, that Xtreme Pro does it in a gracefully elegant manner with a wide range of options at your fingertips very well worth practising in depth.

I viewed your recently finalized banner and noticed that you have rushed to insert the Wildwind text into your graphics from the .xar file which I supplied. Just recently I uploaded a tweaked version of the same file to the board. I preferred to add more air between the text and the frame to improve legibility on distance. Download the revised version of the .xar file and replace the type graphic, if you care to do so.

At moment I can not recall wishes published on the subject issue. Perhaps someone else knows better.

Cheers, Anders