Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: splitting a circle in segments and fill the parts?

Splitting a circle in optional number of equal, and filled, segments. Method #2.

The method #2 employs the Blend Tool in Xtreme Pro to split a circle in 3, 4, 5, 6, or more equivalent and filled segments. This example demonstrates a twelve-segment split. The method is, to my finding, not as accurate in the splitting process as the previous QuickShape Tool method, but fully workable. Try it out for yourself, when tempted.

http://web.telia.com/~u24708742/XaraSegmentSplit2.jpg

Enjoy!

Cheers, Anders

nice one, saved them both

The long-time traditional method of cutting up a filled circle in equal segments is still to come. The basic methods #3 and #4, covering the splitting up in even numbers and odd numbers of segments, are involving a bit of simple calculating and repetitive work. I will demo them here tomorrow.

Please stay around, Suunto, there is more coming up to your circle-to-segment splitting collection!

G'nite, Anders
    Last edited by Anders 205; 08 February 2007 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anders 205 View Post
    Splitting a circle in optional number of equal, and filled, segments. Method #2.

Cheers, Anders
    Thanks Anders 205, it is nice indeed.
    Could you please tell us more about producing these colorful segments?

Will gladly do that, Ren2980. There's artistically nothing very spectacular about the samples, really. Just meant to be an imagination teaser.

Item #1: All selected, line applied, width to fill segment gaps, selection de-selected, segments color filled, segment line colored same as segment, all grouped, object rotated 15°.
    Items #2 and #3: No line applied, all grouped, Flaming Pear filter applied.
    Item #4: All grouped, segments colored, line applied, line brush applied.
    Item #5: All grouped, segments colored, fat line applied and background colored.
    Item #6 (parachute alike): Inner circle deleted, no line applied, all grouped, sectors colored, two thin circle help lines drawn--one same diameter as sector object, another somewhat smaller--selected all and center aligned objects, de-selected all, ungrouped sector object, selected a sector and Shape Editor tool, zoomed in on sector, deleted all but two outer points on sector arc, dragged each of the two remaining arc corner points towards center and dropped them on inner circle help line, center of arc dragged to outer circle help line, repeated for all sectors, when finished deleted the two circle help lines.
    Item #7: Inner circle deleted, now only sectors, no line applied, all selected, Flaming Pear filter applied.
    Item #8: Inner circle deleted, now only sectors, no line applied, all selected, sector color applied.

Anything goes!

Cheers, Anders
    Last edited by Anders 205; 08 February 2007 at 04:27 PM.

Splitting a filled circle in an even number of equal segments. Method #3.

Employing line cloning and repetitive rotation. Example with a 12-segment split (showing sectors only).

http://web.telia.com/~u24708742/XaraSegmentSplit3.jpg

Cheers, Anders
    Last edited by Anders 205; 10 February 2007 at 11:03 AM.

Splitting a filled circle in an odd number of equal segments. Method #4.

Employing line cloning and repetitive rotation. Moving the line rotation center with the Transformation center 3x3 matrix on the Selector tool InfoBar. Example with a seven-segment split (showing sectors only).

http://web.telia.com/~u24708742/XaraSegmentSplit4.jpg

Cheers, Anders
    Last edited by Anders 205; 10 February 2007 at 11:09 AM.

Anders...

These are truly educational. I saved them all, then printed a hard copy to keep in my files for frequent reference.

Putting these tutorials together was a lot of work, and I, for one, certainly appreciate it!

Thanks very much indeed!
    ---
    Will

Coming from you, Will, your appreciation is a true honour! Xtreme Pro is a challenger for any graphic enthusiast, I believe, to do it faster and smarter what has previously been attempted to be made in other vector apps. It's really fun to take hold of that kind of challenge.

Cheers, Anders
    Last edited by Anders 205; 08 February 2007 at 05:35 PM.

Anders, you are quite right.

I'm in the planning stages for a graphic that I want to make, a fairly ornate Compass Rose design. I will be using it on a web page talking about the ancient correspondences of the four natural elements (earth, air, fire and water) with the cardinal compass points.

You have given me some very good ideas. I'm currently thinking of doint the entire page with a wood-grain background, then putting my compass rose in as marquetry.

When I finish, I will post it in the Xara Gallery, but it probably won't be for about a month. Things are picking up here, with visiting family and our month-long Renaissance Faire, and three new web-page clients in the past week!

And I thought retirement was going to be relaxing...
    ---
    Will