Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: splitting a circle in segments and fill the parts?

Damned Greenhorn, I am!
    I hope, I offended no religious feelings with this words, but it explains how I feel. Every step is harder then the one before and I feel like a man in a swamp.

Okay, I understod how to convert a line to shape. Thanks Intbel!
    But How to make a part of the whole work to a shape, when the part is made of lines and curves?

I tried, but got this:
    http://www.osnoxe.de/logo1a.jpg

How to select the one-third part of the logo to make it a shape?
    I used the Shape Editor Tool. Following straight lines is okay, but how to catch the curve?

Many thanks again to you, the helpers!

Holger

Dear Holger, did you manage to split the circle into segments? Raymond helpfully rushed to your assistance in localising the Convert-Line-to-Shape function from the Arrange menu. In your latest screen-shot the circle is not filled, and the line does not look like what's remaining of the starred shape. That's why I am asking myself if you successfully were able to make the segmentation as intended.

Please allow me to give you my best possible advise on your path learning the basic Xtreme Pro tools. When you are exposed to words, phrasings, and prog terminology not yet familiar to you, get used to look them up from, or write them in, the Xara Help menu. It's a reliable source for knowledge. There are also excellent Xara Team movie-clip tutorials available, and they are pedagogically outstanding and cover the basics and vaulable tips. Gary Priester, and several other experienced Xara Team, Xara Xone, and Xara Forum members, offer magnificent hands-on guidance with well made how-to tutorials. The Xara Forum is a rich source for mastering Xtreme Pro and other Xara products. Use the Forum 'Search' function and search for anything related to your graphic queries, and you are bound to find inspiring answers.

As soon as you are becoming more accustomed with Xtreme Pro you will, like many others, find the prog, and related progs, being among the very best companions ever in your creative endeavours, and with all possible assistance at your finger-tips.

You do have another help opening. Ask for a finished, segmented circle to be attached for you to pick up, and to scale by yourself for your project at hand. You will learn nothing from it, but it will make your project run.

Cheers, Anders
    Last edited by Anders 205; 27 January 2007 at 06:25 PM.

Dear Anders205, thank you very much for your answer.
    As far as I could translate your answer, I have to say: right you are.
    At first, a Nebwbie like me has to learn the basics and after this, and not before, I should ask for special solutions. How could I understand the hints, when I don't know the basics? A question, I had better answered before my posting here.

My main problem is the langugage. English is hard to understand for me without dictionary and with it, I produce pidgin-english.
    Much harder is it for me to understand the technical phrases.
    For example: my translation software doesn't know the word "Stellation".
    Okay, I searched for it in the help. The only topic I found which is containing "Stellation" is called "Moving the star points on a star-shaped polygon".
    If I need assistance for understanding, what "Stellation" is, this is not really helpful.
    For a long time, I had the hope, that Xara will localize the programm, but XaraXtreme was not released in german language. Mala suerte.

But I don't want to cry like a baby.
    I of course now see, that it is not the function of the artists in this forum to take Newbies by the hand and lead them trough the dark forrest ;-)

Is there a beginners-forum, where such basics could be discussed?

Anyway, I will learn more and more, every day a little bit more than the other, and I thank you for your understanding and friendly words to me!

All best wishes

Holger

Anders, thank you for that fine tut. I learned quite a bit from that.
    -=Bob=-

Quote Originally Posted by Holger View Post
    The only topic I found which is containing "Stellation" is called "Moving the star points on a star-shaped polygon".
    You're on the right track there, Holger! When using the Quick Shape Tool various tools are exposed in the tool head, as showed in image below. In the dropdown list you can see the "Stellation radius & offset" (showing stellation radius 39,6 and offset 0). By setting stellation radius =0 the nodes (points) closest to the center on the starred shape collapses all the way to the center. Try this by setting value to 20 and 10 and you will see the collapsing process result.

Hope this helps. I also hope, that you will not have the impression that I am giving up on you in your efforts trying to finalise the solution. I do not give up on you! I am trying to force you to "trial-and-error" procedures. There is nothing better in the learning process.

Cheers, Anders
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stellation.jpg 
Views:	583 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	34522  

Glad to read that it was inspiring, Drifter! (And, of course, thanks to Holger for bringing it up).

Cheers, Anders

Anders, your method using quick shapes for chopping pie pieces is really a great tip! Very innovative.

It is is accurate, it doesn't have the inherit chance of screwing up when rotating/positioning multiple lines or shapes, and is fast because you only have to follow a few steps.

Gary P., can you add this to the XaraXone's tips and tricks, please?

Well, jclements, I do think that it is the Xara developers who are entitled to the credits. The method is all there in the prog, available and ready to be used for this and several other purposes.

The simple tut, by my hand, requires a little bit of fine-tuning in the end stage, especially for the below average user. I am referring to the modifying of the segment line widths, just after the cutting up process, in order to make segment ends meet with precision. And, how this affects the possible need for scaling of the final art work with line width scaling in on or off position.

Thanks for the thumbs up!

Cheers, Anders

Quote Originally Posted by Anders 205 View Post
    Hope this helps. I also hope, that you will not have the impression that I am giving up on you in your efforts trying to finalise the solution.
    Hello Anders 205,
    YES, it helps! Very much, and I have to say thank you again and again.

It is good for me to see again, how hard it is to learn something new. And to see, what a help from a third part could only be in the learning process: assistance, a endorsement to to it myself.

I think, that I will come back later with other problems, but while writing this, my printer is printing the manual and I will use it site by site to train the basics.

All best wishes

PS:
    Dear Anders 205, just a little example of my problems with the english language:
    today, after weeks of don't understanding one thing you sad in your tut, I finally (with help from a friend) checked out what your "click what's left of the form" means.
    I translated it with: "click on what is ON THE LEFT OF starred shape" - and so I never got the "Combine..." submenu.
    Now I know, it means "click on what is LEFT OVER from the shape" - and so I could follow the tut until the end.

Xara: please localize your Xtreme!!!!!

Holger
    Last edited by Holger; 28 January 2007 at 11:21 AM.

Haaa...ah Holger! You are persistent and you won't give up! Good show, I like that attitude!

Oh yes, indeed, languages and unsought interpretation can even provoke wars, on the political scene. Not only languages, also religious and cultural discrepancies can be delicate matters when misunderstanding occurs. The moral sense: Don't take anything for granted, or, the Xara Forum sort things out for many on the global scene!

Cheers, Anders