Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Celtic Cross for Critique

I have questions re: several points in this image.... I would appreciate any comments about where any viewer thinks this is 'not working'.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Merne Cross.png 
Views:	555 
Size:	301.9 KB 
ID:	33356  
    Last edited by GeoBen; 16 December 2006 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Revision: Green Triskeles

Default Re: Celtic Cross for Critique

Looks damn fine to me, one little bit stood out though, and i will apologize now for butchering a fine piece of work with a crude airbrush with my far from good graphics skills

Name:	Merne Cross.png 
Views:	538 
Size:	716.3 KB 
ID:	33357  

GeoBen,

I have a passion for creating celtic knots. I haven't done one for ages. I think yours is fabulous.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Looks damn fin to me. Well done, must have taken some patience.

One li'l thing, just noticed and having noticed it now stands out like a sore thumb and that's the juxtaposition of these bits:

Name:	crosscritique.gif 
Views:	496 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	33364  
    "Intbel" ... "Can't" is not an option.

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.

I like your work. Interesting design. That is is assymmetrical, feels more like original pieces hand wrought.

Assymetrical is more interesting. More like designs taken from nature.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode

This is really beautiful. I can't even imagine having the patience to do this.

The complexity of the knotwork is almost hypnotic, making the viewer feel as if he is being drawn into it. I like it. A LOT!
    ---
    Will

Nice drawing like the pewter look. Would your drawing look any better with an enameled colour in the centre rose (flower), you know what I mean.
    Last edited by Albacore; 17 December 2006 at 09:56 AM.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Excellent work, I really like your Celtic designs (loved your dragons). However, one thing occurs to me here. It's an optical illusion, I know, but the geometric pattern in the arms of the cross looks great in the vertical, but to me it looks slightly "wonky" (technical term) in the horizontal.

Mind you, it has been a long day.
    -- Bob

Manny, it would appear that you are not the only one that would change the caps.

M. Bramhill, thank you. I too love Celtic design.... it was what got me into drawing in the first place and still what I do most. Having become familiar with your own works, your generous words are very well received.

Yes, Raymond, that is one of the spots I was thinking of... As noted below, I wanted to soften the symmetry. I will give that particular aspect more thought.

Sally, one of the things I was concerned with was the possibility that it might be a tad 'too busy'. I am glad if you think the design works over all. And yes, this is asymmetrical, sorta.... symmetrically asymmetrical, sorta. I wanted to soften the sense of symmetry (in response to comments i have received elsewhere) while not actually abandoning it. It IS a traditional form. Thanks.

Will, one of the things i have learned in drawing is patience. It doesn't really come naturally to me, and of course, Xara does a lot of the work.... i draw one and Xara makes as many as i need and places them perfectly. "drawn in" was exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks!

Albacore... that is a really great idea.I dunno if i will change this to incorporate the pewter and enameled look (i have a few alt versions to complete.... i will wait for a bit on that as i tire of looking at the same image after 2 or 3 weeks), but I am going to definately hold onto the idea and try it later (as soon as i get an idea of how to imitate enamel).

Bob, I think I know what you mean. Sometimes that happens and I can never predict when. I considered flipping the horizontal arms on the vertical... would seem to be 'pulling' upright and down/left. Dunno it it would solve the wonkiness, though.

Again, thanks, your comments are all appreciated.

geo.
    Last edited by GeoBen; 17 December 2006 at 11:55 PM.

Celtic knots are a fascination for me, too (OK, anything that has to do with graphics is, that's why I'm grafixman... ). One thing I might comment on is the bevel affects everything equally. The over and under of the knot crossings is eliminated. So it's looking more like a complex carving rather than a knot. I would suggest adding sharp linear gradients at appropriate places and angles to the crossings then using clipview to put it in place to suggest parts going under or over. It would be a lot of work, but the end result should give you a more realistic knotwork. Suggesting things is always easier than doing them, though.