Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Since it is customary to save image files (.jpg, .gif etc) separate from the .htm files when authoring web sites, would it be possible for the user to select/configure a default directory for this purpose?

I always like to use "images" as a directory for this purpose. Right now when XaraX exports, it puts "everything" in the "single" directory of my choice. This sucks! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] My only option now is to edit all the htm documents by adding the paths and moving gif files afterwords. If I make a mistake doing this (you bet I make mistakes [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]) then I have to dig deeper to fix it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

The way it is now, it's way to much work for me to keep organized directories on my site/s. I can't use it like this.

Please consider this fix/enhancement. I'm sure the industry will welcome this feature also. Other than that, this Button/NavBar tool works qreat!

Keep up the good work!

The BEST is good enough!
    The BEST is good enough!

Since it is customary to save image files (.jpg, .gif etc) separate from the .htm files when authoring web sites, would it be possible for the user to select/configure a default directory for this purpose?

I always like to use "images" as a directory for this purpose. Right now when XaraX exports, it puts "everything" in the "single" directory of my choice. This sucks! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] My only option now is to edit all the htm documents by adding the paths and moving gif files afterwords. If I make a mistake doing this (you bet I make mistakes [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]) then I have to dig deeper to fix it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

The way it is now, it's way to much work for me to keep organized directories on my site/s. I can't use it like this.

Please consider this fix/enhancement. I'm sure the industry will welcome this feature also. Other than that, this Button/NavBar tool works qreat!

Keep up the good work!

The BEST is good enough!
    The BEST is good enough!

Mark... any comments on this?

The BEST is good enough!
    The BEST is good enough!

I also use a separate "images" directory on my sites.

Mark

We have thought about providing this option, it is non-trivial to implement and involves providing global unique file names and makes integration with webpage editors more difficult.
    We are still considering this.
    The feature will probably not make it into the CD version of v1.0xx, and have to wait till 1.1.

Mark Goodall
    Xara Ltd

Thanks for the support and feedback. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

The BEST is good enough!
    The BEST is good enough!

I would like for XaraX to REMEMBER which folder I last put GIFs in and which folder I last put TIFs in and which folder I last put XARs in, etc. Now, I have to maneuver around needlessly to export/save files where I want them.

Both CorelDRAW and Picture Publisher have for ages had the good sense to keep track of where I want my various file types to be placed (and also opened - same principle). Is this too much to ask for? I say thee nay.

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

In IE (not Netscape), an ugly dotted line appears around a JavaScript rollover image's border when the button is clicked. But I have seen clickable applets (like those made with Button Factory) where this does not happen - so it's obviously something which can be controlled, somehow, with JavaScript code. Can Xara pretty please incorporate such remove-ugly-dotted-line code in Xara X rollovers?

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

I must admit that I have tended to use image folders in the past, but it may be worth considering the fact that if your going to use nav buttons with 3 or 4 states per button plus all related sliced backgound images ( the ones XX call 13c4l etc) + shims it does make sense to keep each single html page together with it's linked images in one file per page and link each html page to each file. This way it is far easier to delete all files associated with an individual page than if all image files are stored in a single image folder.

As an example if you produce 3 html files each with different nav buttons, all these buttons are called button 1, button 2, button 3 etc. how do you know which button1.gif relates to which html file ? (I know you can get around this by altering the name from "button1" to "home" in the names gallery) but it still does'nt account for the r3c12.gif files that XX produces.

All I'm trying to point out is that maybe it would be better sense from a web design aspect to have one file per page, and link the pages to each file rather than have all HTML pages in a single file and all images in an "image" file. Any common images across all or most pages could of course still be held in an "image" file. I have only kept all my previous images in one single "image" file as this way my web editor has prompted me.

Does this make sense?

Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Klaus - were those JavaScript or Java? I don't know of a way to stop MSIE putting dotted lines around selected links - it's well hidden in the documentation if there is one. You can do exactly what you like within a Java applet, but it's Java, and therefore far less convenient for something as simple as a rollover.

If you could post a URL where someone's managed this it might be helpful.

David M