Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Cannot set font to BOLD

Oled

You say "I open a new page, type a name, highlight the text (F8), click on B using any script font and it will not change it to bold. Doing the same thing on any other standard font, such as Arial, and it works properly."

F8 does not highlight the text - I normally left-click and drag back along the text to select it - you get a black block. Then click on the Bold.

I know you say it works for Arial... but in case you are doing it differently.

Edwardian does not have a bold version with a separate ttf file - whereas Arial does; I wonder if this is it? But I can't find a 'Only allow bold for really bold-able fonts' option!
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Unhappy Re: Cannot set font to BOLD

Quote Originally Posted by stlewis View Post
    Oled

You say "I open a new page, type a name, highlight the text (F8), click on B using any script font and it will not change it to bold. Doing the same thing on any other standard font, such as Arial, and it works properly."

F8 does not highlight the text - I normally left-click and drag back along the text to select it - you get a black block. Then click on the Bold.

I know you say it works for Arial... but in case you are doing it differently.

Edwardian does not have a bold version with a separate ttf file - whereas Arial does; I wonder if this is it? But I can't find a 'Only allow bold for really bold-able fonts' option!
    Hello,

I do stand corrected on the F8 key. I do it as you say to highlight the word then use the B.

As you can surely tell, I am not a "Graphics" authority by any stretch. That being said, I have used fonts in bold and italic for years in most word editing programs, MS Word included. In Word, B works for any Script or regular font I use. That same font, whether it is Vladimir Script, Bradley Hand ITC or Kunstler Script will not bold in Xara.

I have since yesterday un-installed and installed Xara from CD on my PC. I also did a completely new install on another PC that never had the software on it with the same results.

I do feel that the problem is something that I am just not seeing or, as a long-shot, the OS (W2K). This is just too damned simple not to work.

Thank you for your assistance.

Oled which version of Xara's program are you using?

Most of the members are using the Xtreme Pro download, although there are some that are still using Xtreme, XS, X¹, and X. I think there may also be some people using Webster, and the older versions marketed by Corel for Xara during the 1990's known as CorelXara.

You mentioned installing from the CD, there are patches available for Xtreme, X¹, and X that correct some problems that were identified after the CDs were released.
    Last edited by Soquili; 18 January 2007 at 01:55 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Soquili,

The CD is ver 2.0f, 2006. All updates were downloaded as well.

Dan this is a strange issue with the fonts not becoming Bold for you.

I don't have that problem with any of the 4 versions I currently have installed. Versions X, X¹, and Xtreme have been installed from the CD with the appropriate patches applied.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Dan this is a strange issue with the fonts not becoming Bold for you.

I don't have that problem with any of the 4 versions I currently have installed. Versions X, X¹, and Xtreme have been installed from the CD with the appropriate patches applied.
    I agree.

I'm still waiting to hear back from tech support (email sent 1/9/07) on the issue.

Oled, I used that font, copied it, then highlighted it and selected bold.

At small sizes, the result was virtually undetectable. At 48 points, it is clearly noticeable.
    ---
    Will

Some programs bold anything even when there is no bold font in your font folder, I'd check to see in your font folder if you actually have a bold version of the fonts you want to be bolder. MS Word does this automatically and with Photoshop you can turn on faux bold.

You can achieve a bolder type in two ways: outline the type, or add an outward contour. The second way is better as it is more configurable. Some script type does not match up all that well where the individual letters join and becomes even worse when you adjust kerning or letter spacing.

A font manager is a convenient tool to use as you can preview all your fonts by style or if they are true type or open type, etc., and it will show you all fonts in a family, all weights and italics, etc.

Just because something works in Word, doesn't mean it is going to work in another program. Microsoft does things its way and it is not always standard in the industry. People send print jobs in word and you can't do professional printing from an RGB program. It is also not WSYIWYG (What you see is what you get). It can display and print differently on different printers. Publisher is an equal printers nightmare.

Word is a good program to type copy for the body of a newsletter for import into another program to really do text formatting.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode

Quote Originally Posted by sallybode View Post
    Some programs bold anything even when there is no bold font in your font folder, I'd check to see in your font folder if you actually have a bold version of the fonts you want to be bolder. MS Word does this automatically and with Photoshop you can turn on faux bold.
    Quote Originally Posted by sallybode View Post

You can achieve a bolder type in two ways: outline the type, or add an outward contour. The second way is better as it is more configurable. Some script type does not match up all that well where the individual letters join and becomes even worse when you adjust kerning or letter spacing.

A font manager is a convenient tool to use as you can preview all your fonts by style or if they are true type or open type, etc., and it will show you all fonts in a family, all weights and italics, etc.

Just because something works in Word, doesn't mean it is going to work in another program. Microsoft does things its way and it is not always standard in the industry. People send print jobs in word and you can't do professional printing from an RGB program. It is also not WSYIWYG (What you see is what you get). It can display and print differently on different printers. Publisher is an equal printers nightmare.

Word is a good program to type copy for the body of a newsletter for import into another program to really do text formatting.
    Hi Sally,

If I understand correctly, each font has to have a separate style font to work correctly in Xara.

If this is in fact the situation, I stand corrected.

Thank you.

Actually fonts are grouped in font families, whereas to save room when you see a font in your drop down menu for selecting a type style, just the family name is seen. In a font family you can have many different kinds: normal, book, BT, Italic, Bold, Expanded, Extra Bold, and each one offering italic and bold too, then some have special fonts for extra characters that have swashes on caps.

Your font folder actually will show you all of your fonts or better yet a font manager. The more fonts you have on your system then the more it makes sense to have a font manager.

There are graphics programs that offer a lot of quickie fixes and then there are those which are for graphic artists who know how to change a silk purse into a sows ear. I prefer the second kind of program as when you decide your total outcome, some extras for wannabe graphic artists are left out. What is the point if you are supposed to be able to draw and produce work yourself the caliber and better than clipart, and then use clipart instead of really drawing anthing? It is the same thing as using crutches when your legs are perfectly good. With qualifications, on a temporary basis where the customer is paying only for quick and dirty I resort to clipart, but I do know how to change it to suit the particular customer.

Of the ones that offer "quickie fixes" are ones like Broaderbund and all its spin off programs. CorelDRAW does offer a ton of clipart and so do Xara, but they are in a format used in the printing industry and both can output to .pdf.

When you have so many fonts, getting back to fonts, and everyone else does, the chance the next person to look at your file isn't going to have all the installed fonts increases. Which is the reason for .pdf's. Ah, but to open the .pdf and place it, therein lies the weakness, because you often will need the correct fonts then or you can be in a world of hurt. If the customer used ligatures, your computer will recognize the main font and then insert a "?" for the missing ligature. Swell when it is in the middle of a publication.

Of these premade brochures are made for many types of businesses, accounting firms for example, who want to customize a premade by adding their logo and changing the colors, can cause problems. Pdf can create as many problems as it solves. In a perfect world this would not happen. But it happens all the time in the real one.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode