Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default flash preloader NOT working in Internet Explorer

My flash preloader works fine in FireFox but will NOT work in Internet Explorer. I have saved in in version 7 to try and make it more compatable with surfers.

Does any one know why it won't work in IE. I have set some javascript to open the swf file in a new window with its own varables.

you can view the page here http://www.inspirationandjoy.com

the script lies under the view presentation button

My site is not yet officially launched, I was hoping to get some help on this before I go live.

Cheers
    Paul
    IP

Default Re: flash preloader NOT working in Internet Explorer

Welcome Paul. I've moved your post to the Macromedia forum rather than the Xara Xtreme forum (Xara Xtreme Pro has some limited Flash capabilities but your presentation was obviously done in Flash or Swish)

I can confirm that the presentation opens fine in FF but EI7 shows nothing at all. Firstly I would question why you are opening the presentation in another window and not directly in your own site? Opening secondary windows is fraught with problems, not least is pop-up blockers.

I couldn't even hazard a guess at what's causing the problem. It could be the JavaScript but I know nothing about this and it seems to change with boring regularity so no wonder there's cross browser problems.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Thanks Egg,

I want to open it into a new window so the presentation is fixed in size and doesn't get distorted by enlarging the size etc.

Also if you open the presentation in the main site window it just keeps looping and you can not enter the site.

Thanks for putting me in the correct forum.
    Cheers
    Paul
    IP

The size will not distort if you place it in the main site and you could leave your nav buttons above it to allow the visitor to break away from the presentation. See screen grab.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!1.jpg 
Views:	5718 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	33965  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Hi Paulbh, i've just checked it on IE7 and guess what Egg was right its the pop up blocker thats stoping it, i allowed the pop up and it loads fine.

Manny2k
    IP

Smile Re: flash preloader NOT working in Internet Explorer

Hi folks,

Thanks for your support, these forums are fantastic. I thought I would explain how I got the preloader working so others can benifit from my learning curve.

I originally made my flash button to open my swf file. This meant that the preloader would work in FireFox but NOT in IE.

Here is the script.

on (release) {
    getURL("javascript:Launch('http://www.inspirationandjoy.com/flaskfold/presentation.swf')");
    }

Here is what I discovered. If you make the button open the HTML file (instead of the swf file) the preloader seems to work in both browsers.

So now it looks like this:

on (release) {
    getURL("javascript:Launch('http://www.inspirationandjoy.com/flaskfold/presentation.html')");
    }

You can view the working model here http://www.inspirationandjoy.com then press view presentation. (Turn off pop-up blockers).

I don't know if this is common knowledge and people said nothing because it is presupposed that I would have done this OR if people just didn't know.

Hope this helps others with the same frustrating problem.

Warmest regards
    Paul
    IP

Thumbs up Re: flash preloader NOT working in Internet Explorer

I had same problem & solved hard
    just download this rar
    ( http://www.egebilsis.com/htaccess.rar ),
    unzip rar file and upload .htaccess file to your public_html folder.
    IP