Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Arrow Photoshop retouching !

REQUEST: take this torn cracked photograph & restore it!!

http://majikimaje.com/before.jpg

This took over 8 hours to restore using photoshop.

Zoom in on a crack as far as possible,

use the eyedropper tool to get the exact color of grey/black you need

dab the area in and then smudge it using the smudge tool !!!

the results are quite impressive!!

http://majikimaje.com/After.jpg
    IP

Default Re: Photoshop retouching !

pretty good.
    Im just not sure if the legs on the woman look right.
    IP

That works okay. Nice.
    Have to agree re the legs, though.
    "Intbel" ... "Can't" is not an option.

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.
    IP

Talking Re: Photoshop retouching !

Well I sure appreciate your comments and especially your honesty..

now let me spill the beans as it were as to who did this..!!! Sure I am the person the "job" was given to.. but I handed this job over to an eskimo woman, 49 years young.. with absolutely 0% computer experience. None. nada, zip zilch, nothing.. I took all of 3 minutes to explain to her what she was going to attempt to do.. she eagerlly accepted the challenge with a big simle.!!!

Excellent first attempt !!! the legs ?? whatca mean? the texture ? or the shape. yeah the texture is all wrong.. but when the customer saw this photo restored. their eyes looked at the entire photo as one. and the people in the pic were the main "focus" of their concern. As artists we look for the flaws. we concentrate on the 1% and seem to ignore 99% of the overall result or creation.

I am reminded of a college professor in an art class who held up a sheet of paper with two dots on it.. and he asked the class what do you see.. and one by one. everyone made a comment that focused on some aspect of the two dots.. the students were becoming frustrated when one person yelled out.. I know what it is.. "A piece of paper " !!! YES !!!

http://majikimaje.com/Max_Pit2.jpg
    IP

That's pretty amazing for a first attempt.
    Did you explain how to use the clone tool and such?

I can't seem to wrap my head around how she figured out how to use all the tools.
    IP

I think the restoration is well done, at least as well as some of my very first attempts at using Photoshop a few years ago. I had many years experience using computers and a year or two experience using Xara X.

For a young lady (49 years are a few younger than I was when first using Photoshop), and no other computer experience it is an excellent restoration.

The use of the clone tool and smudge tool are very easy for someone to learn with a very brief explanation of how they work. Probably even more so for the lady as most people of her heritage have talent for drawing with natural media.
    Last edited by Soquili; 01 January 2007 at 04:57 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Talking Re: Photoshop retouching !

Well. I gotta step in and rescue you from the thought process.. ""I just can't figure out how she knew how to use all the tools.. "

well I gave you ALL of the pertinent information. I spent less than 3 minutes with her.. in OTHER WORDS.. she didn't use the clone tool. I have no idea how to use the clone tool..

B&W is the EASIEST media to retouch. I have worked in my color darkroom for 30 years and retouching color photographs in real life. (not on a puter) is a rare practiced skill).. I have 30 years experience so it was easy for me to show her how to "grab a color grey" and apply it using the brush.. and if needed.. snudge!!..

Durnig the entire time she was working on this.. I was right beside her on my puter.!!!

she was using a similar set up identical to mine.

http://majikimaje.com/desk.jpg
    IP