Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thumbs up Fixing Corel PSP XI (A solution)

I just purchased Corel PSP XI yesterday and the amount of problems I had with this was incredible. It used 100% of my CPU and was using over 180mb of memory. In comparison Adobe Photoshop Elements was using between 2% and 4% and the memory usage was over 250mb but was running as smooth as anything and I could open 50+ images/edit them and still use other large programs at the same time. Corel PSP took over 10 minutes to load and the program was un usable.

I contacted Corel by email and they were of no help. I phoned the company today and the first call was unsuccessful as they were of no help. The second call went a little better as they finally gave me a solution. I hope this solution will help others out who have had the same problems, if not try and get your money back from Corel!

Step 1: Go to Start-Run
    Step 2: Type %appdata% press enter
    Step 3: Open the Corel folder and you will see 3 files:
    thumbnails.db
    ImageDB.db
    LastDBFilter.PspCache

Step 4: Minimize the Corel folder and Open Notepad
    Step 5: Type any word(s) in Notepad -save to Desktop
    Step 6: You need to copy and paste your saved Notepad file 3 times
    Step 7: Rename the Notepad files exactly the same as the above filenames (to be able to do this you need to have the file extensions visible)
    Step 8: Once you have named all your text files, drag them into your Corel folder. If you have named them correctly it should ask if you want to replace the original files, click Yes for all 3.
    Step 9: Close the Corel folder and open Corel PSP. It should now hopefully load much, much quicker and it should not take up so much memory and CPU usage.
    IP

Default Re: Fixing Corel PSP XI (A solution)

Did it work ? I am having major problems ,so slow loading, crashing .Takes forever for it too load psp 9 takes seconds.
    HAS ANYONE TRIED THIS ?
    Cathy
    IP

Thumbs up Re: Fixing Corel PSP XI (A solution)

Hi I tried this and it worked. I did get the solution from a corel engineer, so it should work.
    IP

That really does work, many thanks for posting that solution. I can`t believe something so simple totally changes the software into what it should have been in the first place.

I will feel lost now with not having all my resources hogged by PSP lol
    IP

Thumbs up Re: Fixing Corel PSP XI (A solution)

Hi I'm really glad you tried it. Its a great solution that actually works.

"That really does work, many thanks for posting that solution. I can`t believe something so simple totally changes the software into what it should have been in the first place.

I will feel lost now with not having all my resources hogged by PSP lol"
    IP

Those files got that bloated from the Organizer, and will probably get that way again and will have to be replaced again in the future.

I tried the suggestion, and it did work in that the program is opening a lot faster. However, now my Organizer will not display the contents of the folders that I add to it.

Any ideas?
    IP

My solution to this problem was this:

File
    Preferences
    General Program Prefrences
    Organizer
    File Format Exclusions
    Select All

The problem is the Organizer tries to load all your images. It will search all drvies even Networked. I have thousands of images and it would render the program useless until it loaded them. It would put my processor at 100%.
    IP