Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default cms or wiki style web for a baseball association

People associated with a local (Toronto) baseball club for youngsters and young adults have approached me with a view to replacing their existing web with a new site. What they'd like ideally is a wiki-style site or something like it — incorporating CMS and some database functionality.

I'm not sure if this is something I can undertake, but I've agreed to look into things for them. I'm hoping someone can suggest suitable tools etc. for me to investigate. A quick search just now turned up projectforum.com and centraldesktop.com. Or maybe I ought to be looking into Joomla? I'm just not sure how to make a start with this.

The current site is http://www.annettebaseball.com/. Suggestions, tips &c. greatly appreciated.
    Phil Thompson

Default Re: cms or wiki style web for a baseball association

Joomla would be ideal

Thanks for the reply Jeff. I see from your website that Joomla is what you do. It does look impressive. Short of hiring you -- which might be a good idea come to think of it, I wonder if you can suggest the best way for me to get a quick start on Joomla. I'll need to decide if it's within my competence. I did have a look at the tutorials on your site. Perhaps my best bet would be to download Joomla and start playing around with it? Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks again.
    Phil Thompson

Hi Phil
    I would suggest that if you decide that Joomla is for you but you wanted the conversion of the existing site to joomla quickly you would be better letting someone do it for you. If there is no time limit then go ahead and familiarise yourself with Joomla. Although Joomla is an excellent CMS it is not something you would pick up overnight.
    I would be happy to help you with anything to get you started.
    I would say that although I am fully proficient with Joomla it took me many hours of learning.
    Just PM me anything you want to know (when i get PM status that is lol)
    Jeff

You might want to consider something like WordPress. It's a simple install and setup. When you're done, tweak it a bit, apply any of thousands of themes and your good to go. It will do for a simple CMS. Joomla, although robust, will have a learning curve.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

I'll have a closer look at Wordpress now Red. Thanks for reminding me. Do you happen to know whether or not WP will run on my localhost (IIS) --while I play around with it?
    Phil Thompson

It will run on IIS. However, you'll also need PHP and MySQL installed. If you have those in place, WP is a snap to install. Literally a few minutes.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

Thanks Red. I have PHP and Mysql so I'll give this a try.
    Phil Thompson