Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I've just been reading in the XaraX help file the licensing stuff for the Images supplied on the CD.

It says:
    "
    The Images:
    This licence gives you the right to use, modify and incorporate the Images within your own original work and then publish them in printed material or on web sites or other multimedia presentations. Additionally you may include the Images on web sites where the Image is embedded for viewing purposes only and clearly marked as such.

Some third party clip-art is provided by Bitfolio and is ©Bitfolio who can be contacted on sales@bitfolio.com. Other images are provided by third parties who retain the copyright. "

I've got a couple of questions. Firstly, if I want to incorporate clipart in commercial applications (for icons etc) is that covered in the license? Secondly, it says there that some clipart is copyrighted by other companies/individuals. Should all these have copyright notices on the clipart itself to identify it as copyrighted? (I've seen a selection of clipart that do have copyright notices, and specifically am not incorporating any part of them)

Just checking before I go and release something!

Jamesnull

I've just been reading in the XaraX help file the licensing stuff for the Images supplied on the CD.

It says:
    "
    The Images:
    This licence gives you the right to use, modify and incorporate the Images within your own original work and then publish them in printed material or on web sites or other multimedia presentations. Additionally you may include the Images on web sites where the Image is embedded for viewing purposes only and clearly marked as such.

Some third party clip-art is provided by Bitfolio and is ©Bitfolio who can be contacted on sales@bitfolio.com. Other images are provided by third parties who retain the copyright. "

I've got a couple of questions. Firstly, if I want to incorporate clipart in commercial applications (for icons etc) is that covered in the license? Secondly, it says there that some clipart is copyrighted by other companies/individuals. Should all these have copyright notices on the clipart itself to identify it as copyrighted? (I've seen a selection of clipart that do have copyright notices, and specifically am not incorporating any part of them)

Just checking before I go and release something!

Jamesnull

Printed materials is the least difficult regarding licensing because the clipart becomes part of the printed page. Therefore some else cannot extract the image and distribute it.
    There is also no problem if an item is embedded in a graphic such as an icon. Again the image cannot be extracted.
    In both cases it is not necessary to include a copyright notice.
    If this doesn't cover your situation then I'd suggest contacting us at Xara directly.
    Mick

Mick Robinson wrote :-

-----------------------------------------------
    There is also no problem if an item is embedded in a graphic such as an icon. Again the image cannot be extracted.
    -----------------------------------------------

I'm afraid I must disagree as this exectly how I created the function key strip in an earlier posting.