Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi,

I'm new to PSP (but not to Web graphics) and use a tryout PSP 5 but will soon have PSP7. I just installed a scanner. My questions:
    1) When a photo is scanned, do I numerise it in res 72 (it's for the Web anyway) or in res 300?
    And most important 2) The numerised photo appears with little dots allover. How do I get rid of them?

Thanks for your help. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    IP

Hi,

I'm new to PSP (but not to Web graphics) and use a tryout PSP 5 but will soon have PSP7. I just installed a scanner. My questions:
    1) When a photo is scanned, do I numerise it in res 72 (it's for the Web anyway) or in res 300?
    And most important 2) The numerised photo appears with little dots allover. How do I get rid of them?

Thanks for your help. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    IP

Nady, I'll try to answer number 2 first. If your are scanning magazine pictures, you probably are seeing the moire effect. Some scanner software allows you to set the adjustments to correct this. Check the documentation that came with your scanner. My HP scanner attempts to remove the moire automatically and does a poor job. Thus, I have to remove it in Paint Shop Pro. It's been a while since I used version 5 of PSP, so I don't remember the approach that version took. But version 7 has a moire filter that works very well.

As for 72 vs. 300, personally I prefer to scan at a higher setting -- 300 may be too much -- and then resample down in Paint Shop Pro.

Bob
    IP