Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Which of the current consoles do you own or intend to buy?

Voters
216. This poll is closed
  • Xbox 360

66 30.56%
  • Nintendo Wii

70 32.41%
  • Playstation 3

68 31.48%
  • None of these

87 40.28%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Re: What games console do you own/want?

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    None of these. I play games on a computer (PC/laptop).
    A computer is more multi-functional compared to the console. So why bother paying so much for a console, I reckon
    Same with me, I agree.. I consider consoles for kids. BTW, if I play a game, because I'm not much of a gamer, it would be something like the Myst series or Siberia and I think these show to better advantage on a pc.
    Marcia
    A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open.
    Frank Zappa
    IP

Default Re: What games console do you own/want?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Macintosh View Post
    I just wish some store would take my order and then fill it when they are able. That way we could stop looking and just wait. It seems to me stores aren't run by very intelligent people!
    There are tons of stores who take an order and wait until stock arrives if the product is not available. You just had bad luck Ross.
    My online shopping experiences have been great so far. Not only do we often find products for pretty much the lowest price in Canada (using sites like PriceCanada.com, PriceNetwork.ca, Shopbot.ca, etc.), we also order most outside the province which means we don't pay the 8% PST and often we're able to find a place were we don't need to pay shipping or at least very little. We also never had to send anything back (luck does play a role), but then again we only order from the most trustworthy stores.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    A computer is more multi-functional compared to the console. So why bother paying so much for a console, I reckon
    Because nobody in their right mind would buy a console for any reason other than what games were available (although just looking around I question that). Consoles have games that a PC doesn't. And nobody would likely buy an expensive, fiddly PC for the sole purpose of gaming. It would be like buying a swiss army knife for just its knife just because you wanted to butter your bread.

Quote Originally Posted by MarciaB View Post
    I consider consoles for kids.
    I don't mean to be rude, but that's just silly. An analogy is to say a calculator is for kids because adults know how to do calculations by hand. In fact, Nintendo's Wii console is explicitly marketed and designed for families.

As far as I'm concerned, unless theres a specific title on some other console that you desperately want, the following has always applied: You need just two "consoles", a PC for games taking advantage of the latest technology and networking features etc, and a Nintendo console to play the finest most brilliantly conceived games available. That the Playstation is (or was) top dog is purely a marketing consequence; "playstation" is a buzz word that any old parent knows of, just as is "gameboy".

My 12-year old son has dreams about getting a wii for Christmas but it looks like it won't happen...It seems to me stores aren't run by very intelligent people!
    It's unusual to see someone come to the correct conclusion. Usually, people blame and cuss Nintendo for not having enough consoles available, rather than realising that they've been being made at a finite rate for a finite time, and shops just advertise them like there's unlimited stock and take your money, instead of being clear and realistic and only allowing a fixed SMALL number to pre-order.
    Last edited by Xhris; 20 December 2006 at 03:07 PM.
    IP

Post Re: What games console do you own/want?

Xhris, yes, you're right, it is silly of me to say that, so I withdraw that remark, because I really don't know what I'm talking about.
    It's just that if and when I see someone play on a console it's always a kid .. (I have a lot of friends with kids)
    Marcia
    A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open.
    Frank Zappa
    IP

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Big stores like Amazon, Sears, BestBuy, Wal-mart & FutureShop aren't accepting orders for wii's. I personally wish they'd take all the pre-purchases customers are willing to make. I can wait until they can fill the order and am willing to pay now to get into a que. I think many frustrated shoppers would be too. That stores aren't, to me at least, is bad customer service. (They seem to just want you to come into the store 500 times to check on availability and hope you'll buy something else).

Amazon used to have a feature where they'd notify you when the product was available for purchase. At some point they decided to cancel that but didn't bother to advise all the people who had previously requested to be notified. Again, in my book that's bad customer service.

The hard part is the store flyers continue to advertise wii units even though they have no stock. To me that's unethical as those adverts get people to come to the store. Nintendo continue to put ads on TV promoting them even though there's already significantly more demand than they can supply.

The only store I've seen that is trying to help customers here in Canada is Zellers. Any wii units they get in through the week they save for a weekly draw. Customers can get a ticket. If your number is drawn you can buy one of those units. (You have to be in the store at the time of the draw). I participated in one. Close to 150 people showed up for a drawing of two units.

It's frustrating.
    IP

Nintendo continue to put ads on TV promoting them even though there's already significantly more demand than they can supply.
    Yes but that's understandable seeing as it's their product. And furthermore, all the arrangements for each aspect of the product, in this case, advertising, were likely made and paid for well before it became clear that demand would outstrip supply.
    IP

Bruce has the right idea - chess is the best game ever.
    "Intbel" ... "Can't" is not an option.

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.
    IP

Unregistered Guest

1 xbox normal
    1 ps1
    1 psp
    1 gba
    1 gb clasic
    IP

The only store I've seen that is trying to help customers here in Canada is Zellers.
    The only store? Don't you think you're "a tad" exaggerating Ross?
    Last edited by BlueFlare; 22 December 2006 at 01:57 AM.
    IP

Playstation 2 with Singstar
    IP