Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Flash preloader... SQF page forwarding...

I'm wincing and ducking my head as I imagine an anti-flash-websiter going towards my noggen with a ruler for asking this...

But what the heck, pro has flash built in now, and I"m just on a drunken idea-rampage. Figuratively. Mostly.

I made a small EGG-like website, ALA flashsite.R.crap.xar posted a bit back. It's all pretty with colors and buttons, with seven whole navigation pages.

I notice since there are a couple of photos in it too, that it loads a bit slowly on the web. The photos are optimized, and I really dont want to remove them, so there's a 3 second wait til the page loads.

Even so, 3 seconds is a lifetime on the web, and Id like to have a little preloader. So that means I need to design another animation sfw, but also get both to load at the same time, somehow. The loader first, displaying its little "just a second" message, graphically, and my exported SWF at the same time, in the background, then display when its ready.

How the heck do I do that, get 2 swf to load at once.

My html is simply a page that references the swf I exported, gives it dimensions, give the page a background color, that's it as far as html is concerened.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Tallis; 18 December 2006 at 07:57 PM. Reason: customary spelling mistakes
    IP

Default Re: Flash preloader... SQF page forwarding...

LOL ...

I'm not going to weigh in on THIS one!

I hate Flash web sites as much as I actually love Flash animations.

Can you do a web site in Flash? Of course you can. But just because you CAN do something is no reason why you SHOULD!

The preloader you would use would, of necessity, take even more time to download, so it would have to be something really entertaining to make a visitor to your site want to watch it while something else is loading.

Have fun...
    ---
    Will
    IP

Prob.not possible in Pro,needs some conditional statements

You could use javascriptpreloader or
    make actions on one swf to call different ones using iframes or _levels
    then the items would only load when called for.

Gr.Hans
    IP

"make actions on one swf to call different ones using iframes or _levels"

When you have a bit more time, may I ask you to flesh this out a bit? I searched the help file, figuring I'd get something as the _levels looks like something I'd put in the Web Address dialog for a button, in the Target Frame for this URL area, but no.

Maybe it's in the "undocumented features" chapter of the help file like the "_frame" parameter used in the "Target Frame" line, also not documented ( but a lovely surprise to learn about...) ?
    IP

You can find free javascript preloaders at:
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com
    IP

_levels was described in the pro flash forum today
    iframe is something in html(like a target frame instead of _self,_blank)
    so give a webadress action to load a swf in to an iframe you premade in a htmleditor
    Gr.Hans
    IP

Well, blow me down.

Never even knew there was a flash forum...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallis View Post
    Well, blow me down.

Until a month ago, there wasn't, so don't feel bad that you didn't know about it!

There are some real Flashers in this group, sharing a ton of information with the rest of us. Check out a Flash Bible by Xhris. A lot of work went into it, and I learned SO MUCH from it!
    ---
    Will
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallis View Post
    Well, blow me down.

Until a month ago, there wasn't, so don't feel bad that you didn't know about it!

There are some real Flashers in this group, sharing a ton of information with the rest of us. Check out a Flash Bible by Xhris. A lot of work went into it, and I learned SO MUCH from it!
    ---
    Will
    IP

Even so, 3 seconds is a lifetime on the web, and Id like to have a little preloader.
    Agreed. However the image will take no longer (or shorter) to download than via conventional html. It's just that surfers are used to seeing "image place holders" prior to the image loading (or call it an image preloader if you wish).

You don't need any fancy preloader scripts. SWF files Stream. They continue to load the whole swf file even if the first frame has a stop action.

So when you know that you're loading an image that might take some time, in the frame prior to loading the image place a MOCK image place holder. A simple gif or even better a vector drawing will suffice. This will load before your image and will remain on screen whilst the image is downloading. However once the image is downloaded the swf will then continue to play, displaying your photo and then persumably stop due to a stop command.

I attach a swf file that simulates the effect everybodys used to.

In the xar file I've simulated the delay. In reality you would set the frame with the image place holder on it to display for 0.001 sec. It would therefore only display until the photo is loaded.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 19 December 2006 at 05:42 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP