Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks again to all for this helpul thread, and to Alexander for his suggestion about Photoshop. I don't own PS, but I'm thinkin it would be good to have it. But I don't understand PS pricing. Direct from Adobe it is around 650.00USD, but I have found one site offering PS V7 Standard (download) for 80.00 and another version 8CS I think for around 150.00. Odd.
    Phil Thompson

philt

Might the lower pricing be for upgrades as opposed to the full version? Or they might be OEM, in which case you won't get a box or printed manual, but you'll probably get all you need. Or they might be academic pricing, in which case you'll need academic credentials or a site that doesn't care.

Another question -- does anyone know if Paint Shop Pro will convert the TIFF as well as Photoshop does?

Allison, it is probably OEM as you suggest. You can find this at http://www.ibackups.net/. I just sent an email to JASC asking your question about Paintshop Pro and will let you know what I find out.
    Phil Thompson

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

Watch the cut rate discounters... Most of the time they are bootleg... Check with Adobe if you are serious trying these sites, If you get Adobes blessing on one... Jump on it, and post the site here.
    John/DOT

John, thanks for the tip. I'll try checking with Adobe and post if I learn something.
    Phil Thompson

One thing lacking in X1 is the ability to work in CMYK color space. So, while we can preview the CMYK color output, a CMYK TIFF cannot be displayed properly in Xara X1.

I have found that I can preview, and export if necessary, a Xara X1 produced CMYK TIFF in Illustrator CS, and the TIFF looks excellent.

One hopes in the next version of Xara X this ability to work in CMYK color space will be present. Then I can uninstall Illustrator CS and free up some space on my hard drive :-)

Gary

Re Allison Moore's question--the following response from Jasc:
    <
    Thank you for contacting Jasc Technical Support.

Paint Shop Pro 8 works exclusively in an sRGB workspace, so you cannot convert TIFFs to CMYK in our program as you can in Adobe Photoshop.
    >

Having worried myself through my first attempt at working with a printing co. (who, of course, have never heard of Xara) I can appreciate Gary's point (supra). I'm happy to say, though, that I just got rough proof back from the printer based on my CMYK TIFF produced by Xara1 and looks like it worked just fine. Thanks to everyone. I've learned much. This forum is truly tremendous.
    Phil Thompson

>>Paint Shop Pro 8 works exclusively in an sRGB workspace...<<

Ah yes, of course, what was I thinking. Thanks.