Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Totally fed up with Paintshop Pro XI

In these days of memory hungry software 512mb is the bare minimum when it comes to running graphic programs.

When the advent of Windows Vista on the horizon, it is recommended that 2gigabyte be used when running the new operating system with other software.
    IP

I use PSP XI on three machines. I've only had one problem with it, disassociate ALL file formats with the organizer and don't use it. Other than that, I use it daily and really like it. It is very memory intensive though.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Crypto View Post
    I disassociate ALL file formats with the organizer and don't use it.
    Ive had real problems in the past with organisers/context menus from one program causing or at least being implicated in crashes or problems in other programs - so, wherever possible I dont install them, let alone use them
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Ive had real problems in the past with organisers/context menus from one program causing or at least being implicated in crashes or problems in other programs - so, wherever possible I dont install them, let alone use them
    I'm not sure If I follow you or not, but PSP comes with a built in organizer. You can't choose to install or not to install, unfortunately. The only control you have is to select or deselect certain file formats under preferences. I deselect ALL.
    If you don't, PSPXI will use 100% of your CPU until it searches (for pictures) every file, on every drive, networked and directly connected. If you're like me and have thousands of images (in many formats), it can take 15 minutes or more for this thing to search and index.
    I think they were supposed to fix it in the latest patch, but I have no desire to use any organizer either. I was interested in it at first, because it allowed you to view RAW images as thumbnails. I shoot all RAW images and windows explorer does not support the viewing of RAW images.
    IP

Crypto

Understood regarding psp and its organizer's usage of resource

I was agreeing and generally reflecting on the problems I'd had with context menus in inkscape and open office, which are optional, and preview mechanisms and built in browsers such as in painter and ps elements, when they all start to get in each others way.
    They shouldn't but sometimes they do.
    Running old versions of some programs together with the latest of others dosn't help here I guess.
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

There is a power toy for windows to allow the viewing of RAW thumbs in explore windows but its only for canon and nikon none of the good ones like .MRW :¬)
    Trev
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    There is a power toy for windows to allow the viewing of RAW thumbs in explore windows but its only for canon and nikon none of the good ones like .MRW :¬)
    Trev
    I use this, but they haven't made an update so it will support the Canon 30D RAW files. With Vista, I have a feeling this may never get an update. I hope they do somethign with it, it's very helpful to view thumbs in folders.
    IP

I've never had a problem with it crashing or loading.

I think the background eraser is not that good.

And It doesn't except 3rd party plug in that well either.

Other than that I'm ok with it.

80hd
    512ram
    ati128meg
    1.4 amd cpu

Mike
    IP

I must disagree. the background eraser is still very good even though its now quiet old and other applications have cough up.
    http://www.campratty.com/4tooltours/kz/bge1.html
    That porters post of the original pdf by Kris Z who created it.
    Its quiet long but well worth a read. To Think Knockout was once more to buy then the entire PSP application.
    All plugins that used the original Adobe SDK work in psp The newer sdk requires a licence from adobe, Who dont want other applications to catch up, no fear of that now corel has taken psp over
    IP

Thats an interesting article Trev - thanks for that
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP